Could it be 2001 all over again?

BTW, is that what makes you happy as a fan, making the playoffs and then getting killed in them because you had a weak strength of schedule?

IDK, but my expectations are a trifle higher.

My expectation is that the Bills will be 7-9....however, with a few breaks here and there I certainly wouldn't reject a 13-3 season even if they do get blown out in the playoffs...It would be a huge leap forward towards respectability, and YES that would make me happy

No, not the 2001 Bills, but the 2001 Bears who went 13-3. This years team resemblances that Bears team.....Average QB, solid defense, and great special teams...If the ball bounces our way, we could be a 13-3 squad, and DJ could win his second coach of the year award

I can dream, can't I?

717669[/snapback]

What makes you think we have a solid defense? I'd like to think that but I highly doubt our d-line will hold up all season long without monstrous gigantor's like Pat Williams and Sam Adams. I miss those guys badly and I have a bad feeling we'll be missing them all over again this season.

What makes you think we have a solid defense? I'd like to think that but I highly doubt our d-line will hold up all season long without monstrous gigantor's like Pat Williams and Sam Adams. I miss those guys badly and I have a bad feeling we'll be missing them all over again this season.

I think space-eaters like Phat and Sam are dinosaurs. I think we'll do well with an attacking defense, especially with our linebackers and CB's.

Some tidbits from that 2001 Bears team (I "parroted" phrases from Bears website).

---Shane Matthews at quarterback. They were Preseason 1-3.

---Their #1 WR Marcus Robinson was lost for the season. Their #2 WR Booker stepped up with 1071 yards and 8 touchdowns.

---Fans and media lambasted GM Hatley's "Questionable" selections in that April's draft (including Anthony Thomas), and Hatley left Bears a month later.

---New GM was Jerry Angelo, selected over Tom Modrak.

---Media predicted a finish no better than 5-11.

---Most believed Angelo wanted to see Jauron fail so he could hire his own coach in 2002. Players sided firmly with Jauron.

---In their 2nd game (3rd Week due to 9/11), #1 QB Shane Matthews went out with a hip injury, yet the Bears & Jim Miller overcame a deficit with 17 unanswered points to win.

---Bears beat the next 3 opponents --Atlanta, Arizona, and Cincinnati-- by a combined score of 75-16 with their backup, great defense, special teams, and A-Train (who didn't play regularly until the season's fifth week).

---Chicago trailed 28-9 deep into the third quarter of the next game (SF) and Miller went out with a side injury. Now-backup Matthews comes in and Bears won in OT on an Urlacher forced fumble.

--The following week, an ineffective Shane Matthews-led offense trailed Cleveland 21-7 with less than one minute left in the game, and WON--in OT--with great special teams (onside kick and a jump ball in the endzone) and defense (tipped pass). They were 6-2 after a heartbreaker loss to GB.

--Bear victories over Tampa, the Vikings, and Detroit were highlighted by great defense (no TD's in 2 of them). Another GB loss made them 9-3.

---They went 4-0 vs Bucs, Skins, Lions and Jax with great runs by A-Train, incredible defense, and some unsung heroes.

---They lost their first playoff game to the Eagles. QB Jim Miller was knocked out of game by Hugh Douglas.

---NFC Coach of the Year Dick Jauron, Offensive Rookie of the Year Anthony Thomas.

---The offense finished 26th Overall; The Defense 15th.

718274[/snapback]

Good post, thanks....though my heart skipped a beat at the 'parroted' word.

DJ obviously did a great job that year. Though Coach of the Year should have gone to Belichick that year. It was a good arguement for the awards to be figured after the playoffs.

From what I understand, that whole GM vs HC thing was what finally cost DJ at Chicago.

Here's to hoping he can produce somthing in the same ballpark as 2001.

Good post, thanks....though my heart skipped a beat at the 'parroted' word.

DJ obviously did a great job that year. Though Coach of the Year should have gone to Belichick that year. It was a good arguement for the awards to be figured after the playoffs.

From what I understand, that whole GM vs HC thing was what finally cost DJ at Chicago.

Here's to hoping he can produce somthing in the same ballpark as 2001.

Thanks. I think Coach of the Year ought to be awarded after the playoffs and balloting ending a few days before Super Bowl Sunday. That way, they could do up a little video on the winner and show it during the pregame hype.