Question about JP's work ethic

I don't think it was that at all.  I believe everybody was prepared for JP to struggle.  What they weren't prepared for what the Ds total collapse (if you want to pick an "ultimate miscalculation" I'd go with letting Pat Williams go) and Mularky's inability to put together a conservative gameplan with JP in the lineup.  If you recall, that was supposed to be the Bills ticket last year.  Great D with an offensive philosophy that minimized JP's importance in the offense as much as possible (i.e. the same formula that led to Big Ben’s emergence in Pittsburgh)

Obviously none of that happened.

706369[/snapback]

The way to take the pressure off the young QB is to rely heavily on the run game, esp on 1st and 2nd down to avoid the dreaded 3-&-long. The O-line was generally unable to get any kind of push for the running game to provide the performance necessary to keep the O out of trouble.

So we can probably summarze the TD miscalcs as follows (in no particular order):

1 - loss of PW and lack of suitable replacement, killing defensive pass rush and seriously hampering run stop ability

2 - lack of serious attention to O-line via draft/free agency crippling the offense. (I'd give TD a pass on the Mike Williams fiasco, though, as the whole league thought he'd be a top tackle in this league coming out of college.)

3 - annointing JP as starting QB led to locker room discontent, and failure of team leadership to contain it caused on the field problems - ie Moulds in Miami, Adams, etc.

Any one of these alone would probably be fairly easily overcome, however together it basically took the team back to a rebuilding scenario.