Don't get too excited about June 1st...

I like the players we have....I've said it a few times recently, but I just assume we keep our roster like it is and see what we've got before we go screwing with it anymore for now.

I like the players we have....I've said it a few times recently, but I just assume we keep our roster like it is and see what we've got before we go screwing with it anymore for now.

686699[/snapback]

I agree- I just hope Kelsay shows us something.

I agree- I just hope Kelsay shows us something.

686715[/snapback]

Yep, he needs to step it up this year, no doubt.

Yep, he needs to step it up this year, no doubt.

686718[/snapback]

This is his 4th year coming up. He is mediocre at best. I'd rather get someone else and give 'em the playing time and hope something comes of it.

He's a dud. Time to move on.

This is his 4th year coming up. He is mediocre at best. I'd rather get someone else and give 'em the playing time and hope something comes of it.

686744[/snapback]

If there's someone who can upgrade the position, I'm all for it too. I don't think Denny is any better, so I guess someone else will have to step up in camp. That's certainly the most prime spot for a defensive upgrade now that we've addressed the tackle spots.

If there's someone who can upgrade the position, I'm all for it too. I don't think Denny is any better, so I guess someone else will have to step up in camp. That's certainly the most prime spot for a defensive upgrade now that we've addressed the tackle spots.

686806[/snapback]

Personally if I had to choose between the two. I would take Denny. But that's just me.

Personally if I had to choose between the two.  I would take Denny.  But that's just me.

686926[/snapback]

Really? So you think Denny is an upgrade, or you just prefer him to Kelsay but consider him pretty much a lateral move?

Really? So you think Denny is an upgrade, or you just prefer him to Kelsay but consider him pretty much a lateral move?

686934[/snapback]

Are both great? No, but I have yet to see any pass rush ability out of Kelsay. Which makes him on par with Denney in that regard, but Denny does a much better job against the run and provides more flexibility.

686744[/snapback]

Apparently the Bills disagree with you as they list Kelsay ahead of Denney on the depth chart and they actually just resigned Denney to a new contract.

I'm curious why you think that is the case.

Some might answer that the reason is the Bills braintrust is stupid. However, even if that is true if this is the only response to the question then the main reason the poster would be right is if it takes one to know one.

A look at this in a bit more detail reveals the troubling stat that while Kelsay did log 4.5 sacks his second season in 9 starts, he moved up to start all 16 games last year but his sack total dropped to 2.5.

There are several reasons I can think of that might have played a role:

1. Though Kelsay generally started last year it was actually Denney who saw more playing time. While Kelsay did show some athleticism his sophmore year (I remember him tipping a ball and having the ball prescence and physical ability to actually field how own tip for an INT and with the play than got him noted as yet another white Bills DE with a motor, it is Denney who was a more formidable pass defense guy who played more like a Ted Hendricks LB than a DE. Kelsay on the other hand was simply motor.

2. The way that gray employed the zone blitz meant more stay at home duty than pass rushing for Kelsay. I'm not sure.

3. In terms of his play Kelsay rush problems may be that he never developed a credible alternate move and OL blockers caught on to his one move and neutralized his rush..

Something else. I'm curious if anyone watched Kelsay and noticed anything.

I think part of the problem is a lack of a playmaker at LOLB, they (other teams) don't need to worry about an additional blitzer from that side, or someone that can step up and make a important stop. Also it makes Kelsey play more conservative, he has to try to bull rush in order to attempt to stop the run on the way to the QB. you put a Playmaking LOLB out there, and allow Kelsey to improv a little and he becomes a 6-8 sack a year guy.

Apparently the Bills disagree with you as they list Kelsay ahead of Denney on the depth chart and they actually just resigned Denney to a new contract.

I'm curious why you think that is the case.

686963[/snapback]

In May, a depth chart doesn't have much meaning regarding many players. After the more or less assured starters, the others may as well be pencilled in alphabetically. I don't lend those charts much credence when the season begins, either.

As I mentioned earlier, Kelsay hasn't done much, and if he's not going to improve, he should sit so someone else gets a crack at the job.

During the B'gals 12 years of wandering in the desert, owner Brown liked to point out that his team's roster routinely had the highest number of draftees on it. That they were bums didn't matter to Mikie.

Perhaps Kelsay will catch on fire with the new regime. A pleasant surprise, but a surprise nonetheless.

I think part of the problem is a lack of a playmaker at LOLB, they (other teams) don't need to worry about an additional blitzer from that side, or someone that can step up and make a important stop.  Also it makes Kelsey play more conservative, he has to try to bull rush in order to attempt to stop the run on the way to the QB.  you put a Playmaking LOLB out there, and allow Kelsey to improv a little  and he becomes a 6-8 sack a year guy.

686981[/snapback]

Sacks are nice, but I like to see a DE that contains a run play and funnels the offense away from the sidelines. Tackling runners for a loss or for a short gain can cause an offense to rethink their game strategy.

I'm probably going to get slammed for this but I wouldnt mind taking a look at Kerry Collins and getting rid of Holcomb. I'm a huge JP fan but I would feel a lot better and the QB position would be upgraded if the Bills gave Collins a look.

I don't feel comfortable with Holcomb on this roster. He is the odd man out when you look at the Bills. Both Losman and Nall have huge arms that go perfect with our speedy WR core. Collins fits the mold beautifully as well. I want JP to win the job as our starter but I would love Collins to come in to push him even more.

Holcombs arm is not made for Buffalo weather and it showed late in the season.

I think it's hard to say which End is better until we see them play in this new defense. With the supposed new aggresive attacking style that Fewell is coming in with, it might actually make a playmaker out of both Kelsay and Denney, depending on who wins out in camp and how the rotation works out. Under Gray, it seemed that the LDE would hold up at the point of attack, allowing for Posey (or whoever) to do the attacking, which obviously didn't work out. I don't think our problem is necessarily at LDE as much as it might be at LOLB. When Posey did attack the line, he got eaten alive by the RT's, no matter how bad they sucked. He lacks a "move" to free himself from offensive linemen, which in turn allows the line to slide and protect against the LDE's or tackles trying to penetrate. Once the new scheme is in place, hopefully the talents of the players will be better utilized than they were under Gray. Sure, the Bills had a decent defense, statistically, for a couple years, but when it came down to making plays, creating turnovers or ending drives, they were nowhere to be found.