Is anybody here a flooring contractor?

I have a small laundry room with a floor of vinyl tiles. Some of the tiles are stained and loose and I would like to replace them (the former owners of the home left a box of extra tiles in the garage, so I don't have to buy any). I will probably remove about four of the tiles.

What should I use to glue down the tiles and how should I prep the floor? How long should I let it dry? I live very close to Home Depot so if you can recommend a specific product, I would probably be able to get it.

Also, I am interested in replacing some of my other floors. I am very interested in using semi-precious materials such as onyx, lapis lazuli, etc. Does anyone know anything about this type of work?*

** Heh heh, this last paragraph is just a joke, but have seen photos of onyx flooring. It must cost a fortune. It's beautiful, but it must really chip like hell!

I have a small laundry room with a floor of vinyl tiles.  Some of the tiles are stained and loose and I would like to replace them (the former owners of the home left a box of extra tiles in the garage, so I don't have to buy any). I will probably remove about four of the tiles.

What should I use to glue down the tiles and how should I prep the floor?  How long should I let it dry?  I live very close to Home Depot so if you can recommend a specific product, I would probably be able to get it.

Also, I am interested in replacing some of my other floors.  I am very interested in using semi-precious materials such as onyx, lapis lazuli, etc.  Does anyone know anything about this type of work?*

**  Heh heh, this last paragraph is just a joke, but have seen photos of onyx flooring.  It must cost a fortune.  It's beautiful, but it must really chip like hell!

685852[/snapback]

For glue, use a vinyl cement called thinspread, trowel with a 1/8 v notch,,sets up in 45 mins or until adhesive does'nt transfer to your finger, 1 pint is all you need... For prep, scrape and sweep , If small chunks of the tile prove tough to remove, use a hair dryer the heat will release the bond....After you set the tile you can walk on it...

I have a small laundry room with a floor of vinyl tiles.  Some of the tiles are stained and loose and I would like to replace them (the former owners of the home left a box of extra tiles in the garage, so I don't have to buy any). I will probably remove about four of the tiles.

What should I use to glue down the tiles and how should I prep the floor?  How long should I let it dry?  I live very close to Home Depot so if you can recommend a specific product, I would probably be able to get it.

Also, I am interested in replacing some of my other floors.  I am very interested in using semi-precious materials such as onyx, lapis lazuli, etc.  Does anyone know anything about this type of work?*

**  Heh heh, this last paragraph is just a joke, but have seen photos of onyx flooring.  It must cost a fortune.  It's beautiful, but it must really chip like hell!

685852[/snapback]

www.google.com

:( Seriously, it's not like this is esoteric information. You can probably find out how to do it on homedepot.com, as well.

www.google.com

:(  Seriously, it's not like this is esoteric information.  You can probably find out how to do it on homedepot.com, as well.

685885[/snapback]

But why would anyone do that when there is access to the brain trust we know as TSW?