bills should've signed billy volek 2 yrs ago

Don't count on Nall not getting the nod. There are a lot of Packers and Vikings fans who were sad to see him leave and get snatched by the Bills. Losman is not going to be handed the job and Marv has yet to tell us something that is not true. If he says that there's a competition, Nall has a good chance to be the starter after camp and the pre-season are over. That said, we're better off not having Volek. Could we stop talking about the wouldas and shouldas and start worrying about the heres and nows.

.....anyone know how old he is?

682061[/snapback]

Good one.

You have enough time to put up this thread but you can't google 'Billy Volek' to get his age. :doh:

I mean, do you people make stuff up or what? Are some of you trashing Volek because you don't watch alot of football and don't know his name? Seriously, Volek has performed very well when called upon in Tennessee. He's actually a really good QB, who made a horrible decision to stay in Tennessee and is now paying the price. He's not a one game wonder. He's has seen a good bit of time on the field and has performed well. Enough to definately warrant a shot from another team, and certainly 1000% more than say a Rob Johnson had accomplished. Volek should feel like a loser though, because he is a good QB, who never took his chance because of bad advice by his agent. He's not RJ, or Craig Nall, or anyone. He's a tad more accomplished, who was a chickenshit to take his shot. Like I said, because of shunning the Bills, I hope he rots in Tennessee. However.....

His career numbers.....

24 games, 10 starts

Completed 60.3% of his passes (517 attempts)

26 TD's - 13 INT's

86.7 QB Rating

The one year he started 8 games, his numbers......

Completed 61.1% of his passes in 8 games

Threw for 2486 yards....in pretty much half of a season

18 TD's - 10 INT's

87 plus QB rating

Worth a shot at taking him back then? You betcha.

Those are the same kind of number Frank Reich had with the Bills as a back up, but he didn't turn out to be a very good starter for Carolina after they released Kerry Collins. Kelly Holcomb played that well for the Browns when Couch was out. Neither of them are really born starters in the NFL, no matter how well they could come in and play. Volek is a great back-up as were the others, but he is not starting QB material, then or now. That would have been the worst move in history, and yes that includes Rob Johnson.

Now, could we please talk about something important to the team this year than speculate on who should have been or is going to be our quarterback? Maybe we could discuss who is going to be the likely starter THIS YEAR and why he will or will not do well. That might be an interesting discussion. :w00t:

Now, could we please talk about something important to the team this year than speculate on who should have been or is going to be our quarterback?  Maybe we could discuss who is going to be the likely starter THIS YEAR and why he will or will not do well.  That might be an interesting discussion. :w00t:

683204[/snapback]

If not one that has been discussed ad nauseam for the past couple of months or so.

I'm actually finding this a more interesting discussion due to tempers generally being cooler on this issue than the issue of J.P./Holcombe/Nall.

Re Volek....

I used to think his performance was a good arguement against McNair getting MVP.

After the Titans lack of confidence in him this off-season I'm starting to doubt weather he has long term starter ability.

Those are the same kind of number Frank Reich had with the Bills as a back up, but he didn't turn out to be a very good starter for Carolina after they released Kerry Collins.  Kelly Holcomb played that well for the Browns when Couch was out.  Neither of them are really born starters in the NFL, no matter how well they could come in and play.  Volek is a great back-up as were the others, but he is not starting QB material, then or now.  That would have been the worst move in history, and yes that includes Rob Johnson. 

Now, could we please talk about something important to the team this year than speculate on who should have been or is going to be our quarterback?  Maybe we could discuss who is going to be the likely starter THIS YEAR and why he will or will not do well.  That might be an interesting discussion. :w00t:

683204[/snapback]

Frank Reich was about 90 years old when he left Buffalo to become a starter. And Volek's and Holcomb's numbers aren't even close. When you look at Holcomb's numbers in Cleveland, it is obvious by his yardage numbers that he was Mr. safe pass up there also. Volek's numbers actually show a Qb who just entered his prime and was putting the ball downfield successfully. This is clearly shown by dwarfing Holcombs yardage numbers in the same number of starts in two different seasons. Again, while I'm glad Volek is getting hosed in Tennessee, because he was afraid to come to Buffalo, he has most definately shown skills that he could have become a more than capable starting QB in the NFL. He actually influenced games, while guys like Holcomb took what the game gave him.

I simply disagree with that last statement. Volek is not exactly a rookie now, and he wasn't then. If Volek had been so good, they wouldn't have signed Vince Young to replace McNair who's going. Second, Holcomb played well for Cleveland the year he was basically pulling starting duty. If I remember correctly he was the last QB to lead them to the playoffs where he threw for over four hundred yards and four or five touchdowns against a potent Steelers defense, on the road. To say that Holcomb is always Mr. Safe, is simply wrong. Volek played in an offense where throwing down field was a huge part of their offense. That's giving what the game gives you. He was a decent back up playing on a good team. Holcomb was a good back up playing for a lousy team, who gave them a chance to win, during the same year. You can say all you want but Volek never would have been, nor could he have been a consistent and steady starter for the Bills. Period.

I simply disagree with that last statement.  Volek is not exactly a rookie now, and he wasn't then.  If Volek had been so good, they wouldn't have signed Vince Young to replace McNair who's going.  Second, Holcomb played well for Cleveland the year he was basically pulling starting duty.  If I remember correctly he was the last QB to lead them to the playoffs where he threw for over four hundred yards and four or five touchdowns against a potent Steelers defense, on the road.  To say that Holcomb is always Mr. Safe, is simply wrong.  Volek played in an offense where throwing down field was a huge part of their offense.  That's giving what the game gives you.  He was a decent back up playing on a good team.  Holcomb was a good back up playing for a lousy team, who gave them a chance to win, during the same year.  You can say all you want but Volek never would have been, nor could he have been a consistent and steady starter for the Bills.  Period.

683211[/snapback]

And again, we have an example of making stuff up without knowing facts. In 2003, Kelly Holcomb QB'ed the 5-11 Browns appearing in 10 games, starting 8 of them. In 2004 Billy Volek QB'ed the 5-11 Tennessee Titans appearing in 10 games, starting 8 of them. In the same set of circumstances, Volek's numbers DWARF Mr. Safe Kelly Holcomb's.

In similar circumstances.......

Mr. Safe (Holcomb) completed 63.9% of his passes

Volek completed 61.1%

Mr. Safe threw for 1,797 Yards

Volek threw for 2486 yards

Mr. Safe threw 10 TD's and 12 INT's

Volek threw 18 TD's and 10 INT's

Mr. Safe completed 12 passes over 20 yards, and 1 over 40

Volek completed 34 passes over 20 yards, and 5 over 40

Holcomb's QB rating was 74.6

Volek's was 87.1

Just so we can disprove the "Titans offense goes downfield untruth". Tim Couch, who also has no arm, in the same year as Holcomb, and playing for the same team as Holcomb, the Browns, threw for over 1300 yards in 100 less attempts than Holcomb. In 100 less attempts, Couch had 13 passes completed over 20 yards, and 5 over 40. Couch had a better QB rating than Holcomb, and threw for more TD's than INT's in the same year. So, I guess the Browns offense was more downfield when Couch was in there further proving that HOlcomb is Mr Safe underneath.

Volek is by far and above better than Holcomb-type QB's. Craig Nall doens't even compare. Volek is a very good QB, who again, made a pansy ass decision to not become a starter for another team when his window opened. And again, I'm glad he's getting what a chickenshit deserves.

He was a decent back up playing on a good team.  Holcomb was a good back up playing for a lousy team, who gave them a chance to win, during the same year.  You can say all you want but Volek never would have been, nor could he have been a consistent and steady starter for the Bills.  Period.

683211[/snapback]

I tend to agree here.

I'm glad he didn't come to Buffalo. I figure he would have given us just enough to delay looking for a better QB.

And again, we have an example of making stuff up without knowing facts. In 2003, Kelly Holcomb QB'ed the 5-11 Browns appearing in 10 games, starting 8 of them. In 2004 Billy Volek QB'ed the 5-11 Tennessee Titans appearing in 10 games, starting 8 of them. In the same set of circumstances, Volek's numbers DWARF Mr. Safe Kelly Holcomb's.

In similar circumstances.......

Mr. Safe (Holcomb) completed 63.9% of his passes

Volek completed 61.1%

Mr. Safe threw for 1,797 Yards

Volek threw for 2486 yards

Mr. Safe threw 10 TD's and 12 INT's

Volek threw 18 TD's and 10 INT's

Mr. Safe completed 12 passes over 20 yards, and 1 over 40

Volek completed 34 passes over 20 yards, and 5 over 40

Holcomb's QB rating was 74.6

Volek's was 87.1

Just so we can disprove the "Titans offense goes downfield untruth". Tim Couch, who also has no arm, in the same year as Holcomb, and playing for the same team as Holcomb, the Browns, threw for over 1300 yards in 100 less attempts than Holcomb. In 100 less attempts, Couch had 13 passes completed over 20 yards, and 5 over 40. Couch had a better QB rating than Holcomb, and threw for more TD's than INT's in the same year. So, I guess the Browns offense was more downfield when Couch was in there further proving that HOlcomb is Mr Safe underneath.

Volek is by far and above better than Holcomb-type QB's. Craig Nall doens't even compare. Volek is a very good QB, who again, made a pansy ass decision to not become a starter for another team when his window opened. And again, I'm glad he's getting what a chickenshit deserves.

Wrong again. First off, if you read my post, you would know I clearly wasn't talking about the 5-11 season. I was talking about the year the Browns last made the playoffs. When you figure out that year and get the stats right, then you can criticize. Trying reading the post. Second, we again have a comparison of two quarterbacks in two totally different circumstances. Simply looking at your comparison shows the absurdity. The Browns SUCKED in 2003, absolutely sucked. There was no one to pass to, and their running back was Willie Green who had no line. Yet, Holcomb managed play well for that horrid team. Volek played for a Titans team that, though 5-11 in 2004, were at least competitive each game, because they had a decent level of talent. Try looking at circumstances when you look at statistics. Furthermore, what was the win loss record during the games the two of them started. You conveniently left that out of your list. I'm guessing Volek didn't have as good a record in the games he was in, and that he was having to throw more because they were behind late in the game. Those stats mean nothing. Volek isn't starting for the Bills or anyone else because he thought he could play for a Titans team that had a good chance of being good. Your just wrong about Volek, and the numbers do lie when you don't look at the context.

Also, if you want to disprove what I said about the Titans going down the field, talk about the Titans offense, not about Tim Couch who played for the Browns. The Titans did throw the ball a lot more than the Browns that year. That's a fact.

Wrong again.  First off, if you read my post, you would know I clearly wasn't talking about the 5-11 season.  I was talking about the year the Browns last made the playoffs.  When you figure out that year and get the stats right, then you can criticize.  Trying reading the post.  Second, we again have a comparison of two quarterbacks in two totally different circumstances.  Simply looking at your comparison shows the absurdity.  The Browns SUCKED in 2003, absolutely sucked.  There was no one to pass to, and their running back was Willie Green who had no line.  Yet, Holcomb managed play well for that horrid team.  Volek played for a Titans team that, though 5-11 in 2004, were at least competitive each game, because they had a decent level of talent.  Try looking at circumstances when you look at statistics.  Furthermore, what was the win loss record during the games the two of them started.  You conveniently left that out of your list.  I'm guessing Volek didn't have as good a record in the games he was in, and that he was having to throw more because they were behind late in the game.  Those stats mean nothing.  Volek isn't starting for the Bills or anyone else because he thought he could play for a Titans team that had a good chance of being good.  Your just wrong about Volek, and the numbers do lie when you don't look at the context.

683227[/snapback]

Yeah because, for god's sakes, why would we compare years where both QB's played on terrible 5-11 teams, in the same number of starts, and similar cicrumstances. BOTH teams sucked in the compared years. And the most telling stats are the DOWNFIELD numbers of completed passes over 20 and 40 yards. Not only does Volek DWARF Holcomb, Couch also dwarfed Holcomb on the same team. Hell, Couch outperformed him. Volek's answer in Tennessee to CLevelands Willie Green was RB Antowain Smith to start the year. Remember him?

And FYI....Holcomb was 2-6 in games started for the Browns in 2003 while his offenses averaged 16 pts per game. For the same team, Couch's offense averaged 17 pts per game. Volek was also 2-6 while his offenses averaged 24 pts per game. Now, if that is "performing well" for Holcomb, well OK, your standards for an NFL QB must be pretty low.

Now, I didn't use Holcomb's stats the year he had the unreal playoff game vs. Pittsburgh simply beacause he started a grand total of TWO games that year, and only appeared in 4. His playoff game was against a Steeler team that ranked 22nd in defense during the regular season, and 27th vs. the pass. The same Steeler team that was also torched the following week by Tennessee for 34 points. The same Steeler team that gave up 30 or more points 6 times that regular season and twice more in the playoffs.

Anything else I can disprove? And no, a few teams courted Volek to be their starting QB, but HE CHOSE to stay in Tennessee. Dumb choice. Again, I'm not advocating that the Bills take this guy now, but back then, you betcha he was worth a shot.

Also, if you want to disprove what I said about the Titans going down the field, talk about the Titans offense, not about Tim Couch who played for the Browns.  The Titans did throw the ball a lot more than the Browns that year.  That's a fact.

683228[/snapback]

Then why did Couch go down the field A TON more than Holcomb? Dude seriously, while numbers dont tell the whole truth, try to use some fact in your statements. Couch went down the field A TON more than Holcomb on the same team, in the same year, with the same players, coaching staff, fans and uniform colors. It's a FACT.