There's no way to paint a pretty picture here

Marv could have had traded down and had 6 picks in the first 3 rounds.  Instead they locked on two players and gave up two 3rd rounders.

Obviously, the Bills brass chose not to have the draft fall to them, and decided to be more proactive.  The problem is that they now have fewer 1st day picks to continue to rebuild the offensive line.

So Marv and company definitely knew who they wanted, and paid the price to get them.  He's really decreased his margain of error, which might be seen as too risky at this time.  Many saw this as a quantity over quantity type draft.

675876[/snapback]

Absolutely, he could have traded down and got the same guys and then some ! This is the worst draft I can ever recall in over 30 years !

You don't get it. I never said that our picks were lousy players, or that they'll never amount to anything, or that I'll be pissed if they do turn out to be great players.

We do not have people in the front office that are capable of making the most out of a one-time deal, ie, the draft.

I don't want to be picking eighth every year. But if we're going to have to pick that high, I want value for our picks. There's enough known quantities out there with regard to what other teams are doing. It seems highly unlikely that anyone would've taken McCargo before we were up in the 2nd round. Trading up for such a reach is something straight out of Arizona or Cincinnati in their "heyday" as the NFL's laughingstock.

We could've easily had an extra pick or two from this draft -- and STILL had Whitner and McCargo. And are we going to overspend for other players in the league when it comes time for a trade? If you can't see why this draft has been a disaster, I can't do anything about that. But it doesn't speak well for our decision makers that we have.

675778[/snapback]

Absolutely correct. We could have gotten those players AND MORE. That's the point that these guys defending the picks are missing.

These two guys might be good players, but Marv and the front office has shown they don't have a clue how to "work the draft" to get the most out of it. Dan Reeves and Butch Davis both commented on NFL Network that the Bills, while filling two needs, have paid a mighty high price. They were surprised that the Bills did what they did in both instances.

im not a lapjockey, i too knew what we needed. and we went out and got the best safety and the best available dt (who happens to fit into our defense better than the other guys)

i really could care less what secret awesome formula you guys use to assign a certain amount of points to this draft position or that draft pick.  that stuff doesnt mean jack.

we did what was needed to gaurantee we would get the guys we wanted to fill holes.

i dont see why its so bad, other than you guys havent heard these player's names enough...

675874[/snapback]

Again, I gotta call BS here. If safety is such a high priority for us, then give the second or third to Oakland to move up one spot and take Michael Huff.

Hell, we could've given Oakland both the 2nd and 3rd and it would've been better than what we did today. Still far from ideal, but better.

He is right.

The picks themselves, while solid and fill needs, do not reflect the value of the positions in which they were taken -- and that is a fact. It is no coincidence that the talking heads on ESPN have a strong handle on teams' draft boards during all the other selections in the first round.  They generally can say who it will be among 3 players -- with the Bills, it seems like they are operating on a completely different value system -- which is perfectly legit.  But if they are so different, they should take advantage of that and turn that into extra picks.

675776[/snapback]

BINGO! We have a winner.

The criticism is not the players and it is not the Bills smarter-than-everyone-else unique value system.

It is their obvious cluelessness with respect to the value systems of everyone else in the NFL. You don't not trade down 3 or 4 spots and pick up an extra pick when you have a great chance of getting the guy you really want anyway. You don't trade up 12 spots in the draft when trading up 3 would've given you the same value.