Nice article on Trunk Strength

EC-Bills

Thanks for that link, it's a good article.

This sure caught my eye...

Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland: He shot up draft boards at the combine by benching more than most linemen and running faster than most wideouts. But the real key to Davis is the way he can churn his legs. His 685-pound squat was the stuff of legend in the Maryland weight room.

GOOD LORD! THE MAN SQUATS 685!?!

Thanks for that link, it's a good article.

This sure caught my eye...

Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland: He shot up draft boards at the combine by benching more than most linemen and running faster than most wideouts. But the real key to Davis is the way he can churn his legs. His 685-pound squat was the stuff of legend in the Maryland weight room.

GOOD LORD! THE MAN SQUATS 685!?!

668153[/snapback]

Pretty impressive. Back when I was at the athletic dept here at U of Illinois, we had just finished Ron Turner's first year of coaching. It came time for the potential draft picks to get ready for the draft. I can't remember exactly what the weight was but after a year under Pat Moorer's training program, Robert Holcombe was able to squat some serious weight.

On the line, I think the two biggest factors are trunk strength and leg strength.

While it's true that having strong arms is important to keep people off your body,

playing with leverage requires strong legs and a strong torso. Some of the best

linemen in the league didn't set the combine on fire with their bench press.

Leif Larsen did NOT play two mediocre years - he just started to get the game and was starting to make plays but then got hurt and got lost in shuffle. Not every UDFA or late round pick can turn out to be a Pat Williams.