25 years ago today

http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/sts1_front/index.html

Wow, it doesn't seem that long at all. I'll never forget that white tank on that flight.

660062[/snapback]

That wasn't the only flight with the white tank was it? Didn't they save something like 600 lbs by not painting them on subsequent flights?

I think I may have to watch Hail Columbia tonight.

That wasn't the only flight with the white tank was it?  Didn't they save something like 600 lbs by not painting them on subsequent flights?

I think I may have to watch Hail Columbia tonight.

660509[/snapback]

Correct, STS-2 also had the white tank.

Beginning with STS-3, they stopped coating the ET as they deemed the air flow over sensitive wiring and tubing was not damaging. They saved 595 pounds.

Little known factoid about the paint job. It was touched up for the news cameras. The side facing the crowd was tarted up a bit for show. I have a photo of how bad it really looked.

Tarting up a shuttle, sheesh....

Correct, STS-2 also had the white tank.

Beginning with STS-3, they stopped coating the ET as they deemed the air flow over sensitive wiring and tubing was not damaging. They saved 595 pounds.

Little known factoid about the paint job. It was touched up for the news cameras. The side facing the crowd was tarted up a bit for show. I have a photo of how bad it really looked.

Tarting up a shuttle, sheesh....

660512[/snapback]

FHM photographers.