Delay to resign

linky

Yeah, I know there are plenty of corrupt idiots on both sides of the isle, but I am glad this nutjob is going to be gone soon.

651283[/snapback]

I'm torn, really. He deserves to rot in prison for a long, long time, but I'll miss the abrassiveness and the scandles.

MSNBC has a nice rap sheet/time line here. I read through it a couple times while finishing the champagne I opened.

Looks like The Hammer gets to use all of his campaign fund money for his legal defense. That's one nice perk for bailing on his re-election campaign. Think that factored into his decision to fall on his sword?

Federal Probe Has Edged Closer to Texan

DeLay also is entitled under federal election rules to convert any or all of the remaining funds from his reelection campaign to his legal expenses, whether or not he resigns, is indicted or loses the election. Election lawyers say one advantage of bowing out of the election now is that the campaign cash can be converted to pay legal bills immediately, instead of being drained in the course of a bid to stay in office.

Pretty sweet deal for the man from Sugarland, TX. Bail out of a race you had a good chance of losing, and use the re-election campaign bankroll to add to your legal defense.

By stepping aside so early in an election year, a lawmaker "wouldn't be spending to be reelected" and could transfer the funds immediately to fend off any federal charges, said lawyer Kenneth A. Gross, a former head of the FEC's enforcement division. The last lawmaker to gain the FEC's formal approval for such a transfer was Rep. Randy "Duke" Cunningham (R-Calif.), who resigned last November after pleading guilty to evading taxes and accepting bribes.
:w00t: Unbelievable.

This little nugget of info justs add to the comedy.

DeLay has assembled a substantial legal team to fight back, and he has a defense fund -- financed largely by corporations with business before Congress -- that contained more than $600,000 at the end of last year, based on the cumulative record of its receipts and contributions. But contributions to the fund dropped from $318,000 to $181,500 between the third and fourth quarters of 2005.

What a shocker. His legal defense was/is financed by corporations that had something to gain for having him in Congress. Notice how the contributions drop off as the indictments pile up and The Hammer isn't a good horse to bet on any more. Poor Tom. Just another GOP victim of the Left-Wing liberal media machine.

What a shocker.  His legal defense was/is financed by corporations that had something to gain for having him in Congress.  Notice how the contributions drop off as the indictments pile up and The Hammer isn't a good horse to bet on any more.  Poor Tom.  Just another GOP victim of the Left-Wing liberal media machine.

651891[/snapback]

I'm sure you'll work just as hard to give the dirt when some lefty has exactly the same issues, since it's inevitable. :)

I'd venture to guess that virtually 90% of the people on The Hill are criminals who are financed by special interest. But it's fun to pretend it's just Republicans or just Democrats, I guess.

In 2002, 43% of incoming congressional freshmen where millionaires. ONE percent of their constituents have the same wealth.

Go, go partisans. Keep voting for your lesser of two evils - and reaping the consequences.

Politics is politics and sooner or later it hits everyone with mud, and ironically I still think that this country was on its best footing when Delay was majority whip and Clinton was President. Folks on opposite sides of the aisle from either would claim they are crooks, interesting what it says about those who claim to want to clean up the system....just a different set of crooks getting in office is all I can see would result. I just want to see a balance in powers with the net effect that the resulting competition does some good.