What's your favorite likely untrue draft rumor?

Which is most likely pro-Bills misinformation?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Which is most likely pro-Bills misinformation?

• Bunckley moving up to deserve pick #8
    • Ngata a clearcut choice at #8
    • Bills looking to trade JP
    • Bills interested in AJ Hawk
    • Bills interested in Cutler
    • Bills looking to trade up
    • Bills looking to trade down
    • Other

Part of the fun with the draft is that it is some uncertain.

The real answer is who knows in terms of who are first choice at pick #8 is until we go on the clock (and in some cases the clock does not even bring this certainty as I think it was MN that completely flubbed in making their pick by 15 minutes a few years back). The main thing which is amusing though is that there are pieces of "intelligence" that drift across the local media or to folks on TSW which though seemingly taken as gospel by folks here (if it fits their preconceived notions) are just as likely pieces of disinformation being planted by the Bills braintrust in order to create a perceived lack of interest in folks they want, or to create a false sense of interest in players they have no interest in.

Normally, I think the rule is really believe only half of what you see and even less of what you read (the studies which show the errors on the part of "eyewitnesses" to crimes are quite incredible). When it is draft time, I tghink the dictum switches to disbelieve most of what you read as teams are working hard to fool folks about their interests.

The following are some of my favorite items which having been printed as a baseless supposition in some article, and then "confirmed" by KFFL aggregating and linking to the same article, these rumors suddenly become dead certain truths (usually because they correspond to the pre-existing hopes of some constnat or long (like myself) TSW poster.

Below are my favortie rumors and comments on them and I am curious about how folks assess other ravings.

Bunckley moving up to deserve pick #8- Today's rumor of choice which I suspect was started by the Bills themselves because the idea of them taking Ngata at #8 was beginning to look like such an obvious choice that they were running a serious risk that a team below them with a DT interest might trade into a slot above them and steal him away from the Bills.

The Bunckley moving up to a legitimate Bills interest at #8 serves many purposes:

A. It heightens Bunckley's value making it less likely that a team with a mid teens pick would trade up to get Ngata. Opponents can feel more secure that Bunckley is a good pick so let the Bills take Ngata who might even slip way down the board if the Bills do not take him.

B. If we trade down and gt extra picks and Bunckley our fan base will fill even better about us passing on taking Ngata.

Ngata a clearcut choice at #8- I think this one is actually closest to truth actually. I do not know where the talk is coming from that Ngata does not fit our scheme because outside of the general ramblings of Jauron that we are going cover 2 rather than zone bliz we really have no scheme yet.

As far as it goes, there is some likelihood that quick mobile DL players will be our interest rather than Big Ted like run stopping mounds. However, the word is on Ngata that he actually has shown at the combine great quickness for a DL plaer and outstanding quickness for a player so massive, The kwy for the DL in the cover 2 is to create pressure on the QB and between the 4 sacks rung up by Triplett at DT last year, if Ngata has a good first step then inside pressure from either DT position becomes a possibility. Even better, as Marv has always said the game is about running and stopping the run first, While Bunkley is attractive becaise he is a strong guy who provides great pressure, you cannot teach size. Ngata has weight and takes up space and since he is mobile besides that he seems to be a logical Bills choice.

Bills looking to trade JP,- Could be, but this rumor makes a lot more sense as misdirection by the Bills than an operating framwork. TD made a fatal flaw by giving the QB job to JP before he took the job on the field (even JP said this before last season). While JP showed little on the field to command the job, it would seem to be the same mistake for Marv to give up on him simply based on poor performance last year,

The Bills seem set cap wise and talent wise to have a great competition between JP, KH, and Nall for the starting QB joband are virtually guranteed to have a quality #2. Add to this mix the developing Ochs and Woodbury (who if they perform as well as they can would seem to justify msking one of them a cheap disaster QB0 and the only rationale for making a move to get rid of JP would be someone making us a foolish trade offer (unlikely) or actually limitations on Marv's part being unable to deal withuncertainty at QB. I think this is a flat out rumor in hopes of creating a run on QB among the first few picks in the hopes that a D'Brick will drop down.

Bills interested in AJ Hawk- This would seem to be utter silliness as this rookie #8 likely would be the 5th LB on the current depth chart and we would need to bith jettison Posey (likely though nit a done deal) and give up on TKO's recovery to have our #8 play from day one as we expect. Given this team's many needs picking Hawk who looks like a great LB makes little football sense.

Bills interested in Cutler- He was certainly yesterday's surprise pick but given the depth at QB in this draft (and for us in particular our depth on our roster) this move would make little football sense for the Bills.

Bills looking to trade up- Again, given our many needs on this team, reducing the number of picks we have seems to make little football sense. Particularly when we would likely have to trade up into the top 3 to get one of the breakout players we need and thus even getting GB's #5 would be a foolish trade-up.

Bills looking to trade down- Again, this makes a lot of sense in this deep draft.

At any rate, I am curious what other wild rumors attracted folks attention.

Last few Super Bowl winners had beef in the middle. Richard Seymour & Casey Hampton are pretty dominant. Give me Ngata. Adjust the scheme to his talents. Takes 2 blockers &  frees up the backers.

649516[/snapback]

Yes it might be nice to have a lineman on OUR team control the line of scrimmage.

What about Vince Young falling to the 8th pick and the Bills picking him up? I think that one's funny... but the AJ Hawk one is exciting for me, I like the kid.  Hard nosed player, and definitley ready to step up in the NFL, a Lofa Tatupu of sorts.

649603[/snapback]

Keyrect. the Vince Young fantasies are worth noting in terms of rumors.

I like what I have seen of AJ Hawk during the NFL Network Combine coverage, but in terms of footbsll logic, the idea of the Bills either having their #8 pick sit on the bench behind TKO, Fletch, and the newly signed and extended Crowell (or the team sitting one of these multi-millionaires while he earns his bucks if Hawk starts) makes the option of drafting Hawk only slightly less of a fantasy than us drafting Vince Young.