Given our multiple needs...

turftoe

If I were Levy, I would be on the phone with teams like the Vikings and the Broncos to see if they want to trade to #8. The Vikings have #17 and two #2 picks and now need a QB. Denver has #15 and #22 and also seems to have a desire to move up. I really want to see us get more than 4 first day picks. Pat Kirwin had a good read recently about the strength of the second round in this draft. Trading down to get either later first or multiple early second round picks could help us the most. Guys like Mangold, Lutui, Watson, Jean-Gilles, etc...are all big horses that could fill needs and likely will be picked in that range.

Excellent post. I feel the same way. At #8 many players in this draft are a "reach" however mid 1st and second are very good. A guy like Davin Joseph, Kelly Jennings, or Jon Scott are guys I want but are very limited. I would trade down for an extra 2 in a heartbeat. I'm still not sold on Ngata just yet. I feel Watson may be the better of the 2 space eaters.

If I were Levy, I would be on the phone with teams like the Vikings and the Broncos to see if they want to trade to #8.  The Vikings have #17 and two #2 picks and now need a QB.  Denver has #15 and #22 and also seems to have a desire to move up.  I really want to see us get more than 4 first day picks.  Pat Kirwin had a good read recently about the strength of the second round in this draft.  Trading down to get either later first or multiple early second round picks could help us the most.  Guys like Mangold, Lutui, Watson, Jean-Gilles, etc...are all big horses that could fill needs and likely will be picked in that range.

639517[/snapback]

Brad Johnson | 15 | 184 294 62.6 1885 6.4 12 4 | 18 53 0 |

Why do the Vikes need another qb? Johnson tore it up for them and was something like 7 and 2 in his starts.

Because JT O'Sullivan is their only other QB on the roster who has 4years experience and no regular season play time. they need a QB, but not til the second round...look for them to take Brodie Croyle or Omar Jacobs

Brad Johnson        | 15 | 184 294  62.6 1885  6.4 12  4 |  18  53  0 |

Why do the Vikes need another qb? Johnson tore it up for them and was something like 7 and 2 in his starts.

639529[/snapback]

Maybe because he's 38 years old? But the Vike's are not any closer to the playoffs then the Bills so I don't see it happening. But the Broncos? If that big Duck is still there? A deal maybe had. :ph34r:

Because JT O'Sullivan is their only other QB on the roster who has 4years experience and no regular season play time.  they need a QB, but not til the second round...look for them to take Brodie Croyle or Omar Jacobs

639531[/snapback]

Well, no trade for a #8 then, as the originator of this topic espoused, eh?... :ph34r:

Brad Johnson        | 15 | 184 294  62.6 1885  6.4 12  4 |  18  53  0 |

639529[/snapback]

The Vikes got on a roll after starting terribly. It was very similar to the Bills 2 years ago. The defense played great and Johnson did fairly well, but so did Bledsoe during our run. Where is Bledsoe now? I don't think the Vikings look at Johnson as their long term solution at the QB position. With Culpepper gone, I think they will be looking for a young stud for the future.

Aren't they already loaded up with rb's?

639544[/snapback]

not really...Michael bennett just left for New Orleans...leaving Mewelde Moore as the lone starter with Chester Taylor and Ciatrick Fason.

I forgot Minnesota got Taylor, but everything I've heard still has them going RB in the first.

EDIT:

Well after taking a second look around Minnesota is looking DB either CB or SS in the first now...so a trade up to grab Huff isnt all that out of the question, but they'll probably sit tight and wait for Tye Hill or Donte Whitner

You'll get your QB killed if you can't/don't run the ball...i.e. Philly and McNabb this year.  RB is just as important as it ever was.

639575[/snapback]

Yes - I realize that..who doesn't? :ph34r:

Good linemen and halfway-decent playcalling solves that. You don't need a #1 spiffy back to go worm through the running lanes if the OL opens them up them.

Yes - I realize that..who doesn't?  :ph34r:

Good linemen and halfway-decent playcalling solves that. You don't need a #1 spiffy back to go worm through the running lanes if the OL opens them up them.

639586[/snapback]

Exactly right! Look for Cleveland to have a better running game this season than saaaaaaaay, the Cardinals (or Bills for that matter!) Much improved OLine, and a decent RB.. as opposed to a very good RB and pathetic line.