College Football Weekend

R. Rich

USC was very close to losing the top ranking. They're still a good team, but right now there are teams that are playing better than they are, such as Oklahoma and Georgia. It's still way too early to think they're overrated or if they're just playing good teams that are giving them everything they've got since USC is the defending national champ.

As much as it pains me to say, Notre Dame is starting to look really good now. I can't believe they haven't slipped into the Top 25 yet, though they were the leading vote getters for unranked teams.

West Virginia has looked impressive so far. I'm really looking forward to their game against the Hokies to see what they've really got.

Same goes for Auburn. Beating LSU was very impressive; next up are the #8 Vols. It should be a great one.

Is Texas really as good as their #5 ranking? I dunno.

Virginia is looking good in the early going as well. What a great LB corps they have!

Kyle Orton is just lighting teams up! He put a hurtin' on the Illini Saturday with 366 yards passing and 4 TDs. Now, the fun begins as the Boilermakers' schedule gets a lot more competitive with Notre Dame, Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan, Northwestern, Iowa, Ohio State, and Indiana all waiting to take their shots at him. Buckle up that chinstrap, Kyle.

As for Penn State............oh boy. Since I've been saying that I think they're a year away from really contending, the one thing I hoped for was a relatively injury-free season. Yeah, right. Chris Ganter is a nice kid and all, but I really don't want to see him running the 'O'. Not at all.

Best game I watched last weekend? Without a doubt, it was this one! The Utah Utes can score!! Urban Meyer's spread offense is really exciting to watch: it's like watching the Bills' no huddle offense on speed! QB Alex Smith was sharp and their WRs have blazing speed. I was also watching OG Chris Kemoeatu, who I hope the Bills will look into drafting next year. He had some really nice run blocks and a couple impressive blocks in pass protection. Plus, he's got a mean streak!

Don't forget Minnesota in the Big 10. Maroney,Barber and Valentine can all run the ball. Cupito is a good QB. Like Joe Tillers Purdue squad, the Gophers typically are a high scoring team who give up a lot of yards on Defense. I'll see if Glen Mason can keep the Gophers winning throughout the conference schedule. One stumble on offense and these teams are in trouble. Their Defenses don't shut down anyone.

Don't forget Minnesota in the Big 10. Maroney,Barber and Valentine can all run the ball. Cupito is a good QB. Like Joe Tillers Purdue squad, the Gophers typically are a high scoring team who give up a lot of yards on Defense. I'll see if Glen Mason can keep the Gophers winning throughout the conference schedule. One stumble on offense and these teams are in trouble. Their Defenses don't shut down anyone.

46679[/snapback]

I'll get a good look at the Gophers this weekend when Penn State plays them. It might not be a pretty sight.

As much as it pains me to say, Notre Dame is starting to look really good now.  I can't believe they haven't slipped into the Top 25 yet, though they were the leading vote getters for unranked teams. 

46650[/snapback]

I'll say it... go Irish! Quinn was on fire the first half of this game. The true test will be this week against #15 Purdue. If Shelton beats the safeties deep, it will be a long day for Purdue.

USC is not a dominating team but they are finding ways to win. Until they lose, I don't see them dropping out of the number one slot.

Ohio State didn't play this week. I think they are overrated as the #7 team, but I don't see them getting beat until towards the end of the season.

Miami beat up on Houston as expected. Brock Berlin still doesn't wow me. I like the canes backfield with Moss and Gore, but are they good enough to cover up for what Berlin is lacking.

Rix gets hurts and Sexton comes in and throws for 162 yards in a Florida St win. Rix will be out two weeks with an ankle injury. I wonder if Sexton keeps the job when Rix's ankle heals.

Rich, as they were wrapping up MR for the trip to the hospital, did you catch the "Oh crap, this means I'M next" look on Ganter's face?

Ugh. Didn't even really watch the rest of the game after that; too many bad flashbacks to Taliaferro. At least it sounds like Michael's going to be OK.

Overall, a horrid weekend in Happy Valley. Thoughts go out to the Paterno family - Joe + SuePa's son-in-law Chris Hort was still listed in critical condition Monday, after suffering a head injury in a bike accident Saturday. Also, condolences to the family of PSU All-American Bob Mitinger, who passed away the same day.

Wins and losses don't get to Joe. This will.

Rich, as they were wrapping up MR for the trip to the hospital, did you catch the "Oh crap, this means I'M next" look on Ganter's face?

Ugh. Didn't even really watch the rest of the game after that; too many bad flashbacks to Taliaferro. At least it sounds like Michael's going to be OK.

Overall, a horrid weekend in Happy Valley. Thoughts go out to the Paterno family - Joe + SuePa's son-in-law Chris Hort was still listed in critical condition Monday, after suffering a head injury in a bike accident Saturday. Also, condolences to the family of PSU All-American Bob Mitinger, who passed away the same day.

Wins and losses don't get to Joe. This will.

48799[/snapback]

Man; tough weekend.

This is going to be a loooooooooooooong season for us, with Penn State and Buffalo still not ready to compete.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.