building a team

Tolstoy

During the superbowl years, the Bills had their share of star players. Just as important, however, were the role players who we rarely heard about--guys with character who did their jobs in the trenches. Every championship team has these guys, but these guys rarely get any press.

What is my point?

I think that of these two needs--(1) getting star players, and (2) filling out the team with excellent character guys who can play--the latter is more difficult. However, that is precisely what Marv is trying to do through free agency--and getting slaughtered for it.

We want big name free agents for top dollar; granted, they are important, but so too are the types of players that Marv is already bringing in. Give him a chance. I suspect that Marv knows that there is no easy way to build a championship team. It has to be done from the ground up.

I agree, but you still need stars.

Right now we have Moulds and Mcgahee on offense. There are no other stars. And please don't mention QB's who can't complete 50% of their passes, or WR's who haven't caught 50 balls, or a converted TE, who was barely adequate even if he was one of our better Olinemen. That doesn't make them stars.

During the superbowl years, the Bills had their share of star players.  Just as important, however, were the role players who we rarely heard about--guys with character who did their jobs in the trenches.  Every championship team has these guys, but these guys rarely get any press. 

What is my point?

I think that of these two needs--(1) getting star players, and (2) filling out the team with excellent character guys who can play--the latter is more difficult.  However, that is precisely what Marv is trying to do through free agency--and getting slaughtered for it.

We want big name free agents for top dollar; granted, they are important, but so too are the types of players that Marv is already bringing in.  Give him a chance.  I suspect that Marv knows that there is no easy way to build a championship team.  It has to be done from the ground up.

631645[/snapback]

Nice sentiment. I think the problem, though, is that this board saw Pickett in the latter category. We're not even getting the quality players to round out the roster, let alone stars. If that is what Marv is trying to do, he's not even doing that.