Tom Ashworth and Free Agency in general.....

I don't want to sound like those guys who go crazy if we don't sign a player everyday. But it was good to see Marv start grabbing people right off the bat on Saturday. But it's been REAL quiet since then. Which would be fine normally, but this year's free agency is happening EXTREMELY fast unlike last season. Everytime I turn around, top FA's are getting signed. We really need to pick things up again.

One of the FA's that i'd like to see Buffalo go after is New England's RT Tom Ashworth. Now I haven't heard a lot of people talk about him and honestly with the way FA is going he might have signed with another team or resigned with the Pats without me even noticing.

But if he is still available, he'd be the perfect fit for the Bills. He's a young, hungry, "character guy" who was solid in NE and just seems to be getting better over time (not to mention, one of the more recognizable guys on the Pats OL/Brady commercials lol). He would fill a need and wouldn't be a huge name demanding huge money like some of the other guys out there.

I also think we should pursue Kevin Mawae like reports indicated earlier. He's one of the top Center's in the NFL. His only real concern is age. Which is fine because we just need a quick fix until we know if Duke Preston can be our Center or not. It would be far too dangerous for us to just throw Preston into a line that is shaky already.

If we could get them both, our line would be substantially upgraded at a fairly reasonable price looking a little something like this:

LT - Jason Peters

LG - Mike Gandy

C - Kevin Mawae

RG - Chris Villarial

RT - Tom Ashworth

To me, Ashworth, Mawae, and Rocky Bernard would be the guys I really hope we can sign before FA ends. I would also be happy with Ryan Pickett or Grady Jackson. If we had money left after them (which we probably would after letting Moulds go), i'd go after Tank Williams as well.

What would you guys do?

I don't want to sound like those guys who go crazy if we don't sign a player everyday. But it was good to see Marv start grabbing people right off the bat on Saturday. But it's been REAL quiet since then. Which would be fine normally, but this year's free agency is happening EXTREMELY fast unlike last season. Everytime I turn around, top FA's are getting signed. We really need to pick things up again.

One of the FA's that i'd like to see Buffalo go after is New England's RT Tom Ashworth. Now I haven't heard a lot of people talk about him and honestly with the way FA is going he might have signed with another team or resigned with the Pats without me even noticing.

But if he is still available, he'd be the perfect fit for the Bills. He's a young, hungry, "character guy" who was solid in NE and just seems to be getting better over time (not to mention, one of the more recognizable guys on the Pats OL/Brady commercials lol). He would fill a need and wouldn't be a huge name demanding huge money like some of the other guys out there.

I also think we should pursue Kevin Mawae like reports indicated earlier. He's one of the top Center's in the NFL. His only real concern is age. Which is fine because we just need a quick fix until we know if Duke Preston can be our Center or not. It would be far too dangerous for us to just throw Preston into a line that is shaky already.

If we could get them both, our line would be substantially upgraded at a fairly reasonable price looking a little something like this:

LT - Jason Peters

LG - Mike Gandy

C - Kevin Mawae

RG - Chris Villarial

RT - Tom Ashworth

To me, Ashworth, Mawae, and Rocky Bernard would be the guys I really hope we can sign before FA ends. I would also be happy with Ryan Pickett or Grady Jackson. If we had money left after them (which we probably would after letting Moulds go), i'd go after Tank Williams as well.

What would you guys do?

628466[/snapback]

I'd replace Gandy with Preston!

I like Ashworth as well. Maybe his price is too high. Living in NE they talked about him a lot as a reliable/good RT. Not great, but good and solid. From what I have heard, he hasn't gone anywhere to look. I don't know why or maybe they just haven't reported it here. We'll see---I like your line with the exception of Villarial. He was really weak last year. I think he personally is a great, great guy, but on the field he was manhandled consistently.

I like Ashworth as well.  Maybe his price is too high.  Living in NE they talked about him a lot as a reliable/good RT.  Not great, but good and solid.  From what I have heard, he hasn't gone anywhere to look.  I don't know why or maybe they just haven't reported it here.  We'll see---I like your line with the exception of Villarial.  He was really weak last year.  I think he personally is a great, great guy, but on the field he was manhandled consistently.

628569[/snapback]

I agree with you. I'm not a huge fan of Villarial either. But he'll have to do for now. He isn't great, but he's not terrible either. Jauron has some history of coaching him when he was a very good lineman. Maybe he can help him out.

I REALLY want Ashworth. So I hope they chase him.

I thought Ashworth was injured a lot last year.

Maybe thats why teams are not going after him right away?

I still really like our tackles to tell you the truth. I think the interior line is what needs fixing. Gandy did a pretty good job last year. Peters is going to be very solid in his career. Just big and fast.