After watching football all day

Thailog80

Thanks to the lame competition committee, teams are now afraid to play defense.  The NFL just went from a superior product to a step above the arena league.

:I starred in Brokeback Mountain: , competition committee!

46077[/snapback]

You are just mad because your CB's can't hold recievers every play anymore.

It's too bad an interesting topic got hijacked by this infantile exchange. Keep it to yourselves, fellas and use that PM button.

As for the original topic, I too thought this as I watched. I wonder if there are stats to back up that there seem to be both more penalties and fewer interceptions because of the rules. Even if not, it seems games are a little less exciting and a lot more drawn out now.

I was just having fun with the Patsie troll.

Actually on topic here, the officiating for the most part isn't the problem. The overall talent in the NFL has gone down and with the talent being spread out over so many teams there are going to be more bad players starting in the NFL. Just look at the Bills offensive line. They are a prime example of why there are so many penalties in the NFL.

The overall talent in the NFL has gone down and with the talent being spread out over so many teams there are going to be more bad players starting in the NFL.  Just look at the Bills offensive line.  They are a prime example of why there are so many penalties in the NFL.

46174[/snapback]

If this was a discussion about Major League Baseball (or the NBA) I might agree with you, as it seems that is always a reason given for that lack of pitching in that game. Expansion being the big culprit. I never agreed with that excuse. There are so many feeder pools for the game: US colleges, Dominical Republic, Japan. I find it hard to believe that in all of the world there aren't enough resources to support the baseball talent market. I've always thought that, for many years now, more and more kids just don't care about baseball. For the NBA, that game has way too much youth and inexperience because of early decarations for the draft.

So for football what has caused a dilution of talent? There hasn't been expansion. Salary cap? That shouldn't dilute overall talent in the league -- the best are still going to play at the highest level. And there are a LOT of kids trying to make the NFL. I just don't think talent in the NFL has gone down.