Let's talk safetys in the "Cover 2".......

I think we could get by for another year with Vincent at FS in this scheme, but what about SS. Besides salary the popular opinion on the Milloy release is he didn't have the cover skills for the scheme. But what about John Lynch? Nobody is gonna rave about his cover skills but he has been pretty good in this scheme. I personally prefer if at least one of my safetys can really hit the you know what out of the reciever. Sure we may lose some coverage ability but if we are gonna go with Vincent at FS I'm targeting either Archuletta or Tank Williams. No matter what the scheme I think you gotta have a physical presence back there somewhere. I'd be interested in some other opinions on ths subject. Oh, of course the front four improving can make a lot of things better so don't think I'm forgetting about the lines, because we can't take ANYTHING but someone who at least weighs 300 lbs. with our 1st round draft pick! :blink::blink:

I think we could get by for another year with Vincent at FS in this scheme, but what about SS. Besides salary the popular opinion on the Milloy release is he didn't have the cover skills for the scheme. But what about John Lynch? Nobody is gonna rave about his cover skills but he has been pretty good in this scheme. I personally prefer if at least one of my safetys can really hit the you know what out of the reciever. Sure we may lose some coverage ability but if we are gonna go with Vincent at FS I'm targeting either Archuletta or Tank Williams. No matter what the scheme I think you gotta have a physical presence back there somewhere. I'd be interested in some other opinions on ths subject. Oh, of course the front four improving can make a lot of things better so don't think I'm forgetting about the lines, because we can't take ANYTHING but someone who at least weighs 300 lbs. with our 1st round draft pick! :blink:  :blink:

621792[/snapback]

John Lynch was never a good cover safety, He was good against the run and a good blitzer. I was hoping to keep Milloy for another year and get rid of vincent, mostly due to having no one of worth behind milloy while wanting to give rashad baker a shot at fs. I think the safety position is quickly becoming one of the more important positions on defense though, similar to the te on offense. Both are undervalued but you need good athletes.

I agree you need a physical presence, and I'm more a fan of the physical kind of safeties the roy williams and polamalu's then the ed reeds of the world. Generally though in a cover 2 you do need safeties who can cover a lot of ground. While Free Agency is a good way to go towards building your team I'd prefer the draft. Baker at 5'10 200lbs 10lbs heavier then milloy might be able to make the switch to ss but if not, I'd like to see someone like jason allen from tenn. Roman Harper from Alabama, greg blue georgia or cedric griffin from texas.

Coy Wire may actually do well in a Cover 2 where he can use his speed (4.5 40 time) and bring the hits to guys that try to go deep across the middle. He will not have as much run support responsibility and hence getting beat in play action all the time.

Now if we played Cover-3 Wire would be lost as he would have to read and react to some of the underneth and "flatter" patterns to the side by the TE's and FB's.

In a cover two it really is just covering the guys in the TE side middle deep part of the field. The Cb takes the side line routes. So the safeties only help double the deep seam routes and routes of receivers funneled inside and deep.

If we go the draft route, I like all your choices GuessWhosBack. Right now it seems there are a lot of solid 2nd round safetys in this draft. I hope one falls to round 3 and we snag him there. As much as I was joking about the 300 lb. guy with the first pick joke it is a huge need. If we end up going with someone who is not a lineman with the first pick we almost gotta with the 2nd.

I agree you need a physical presence, and I'm more a fan of the physical kind of safeties the roy williams and polamalu's then the ed reeds of the world.  Generally though in a cover 2 you do need safeties who can cover a lot of ground.  While Free Agency is a good way to go towards building your team I'd prefer the draft.  Baker at 5'10 200lbs 10lbs heavier then milloy might be able to make the switch to ss but if not, I'd like to see someone like jason allen from tenn.  Roman Harper from Alabama, greg blue georgia or cedric griffin from texas.

621822[/snapback]

Going by your post, Michael Huff would be a good pick then. Not only can the guy cover, but he's a lights out hitter who loves the physical play. He's also a terrific blitzer.

Considering the strong possibility of Mario Williams and D'Brickashaw Ferguson being gone by our pick, he'd be my choice if I were GM and I kept the 8th pick instead of trading up (for Williams or Ferguson) or down (for Tamba Hali, Manny Lawson, or someone else).

There will be some very good safety candidates in the second round. Jason Allen might even go to three and if he does we would be foolish not to take him (having drafted TWO three hundred pounders in the first two rounds!) Some interesting tight end slections might even be available at three (I'm kind of hoping for Pope of Georgia to hang out til round three)

I think we could get by for another year with Vincent at FS in this scheme, but what about SS. Besides salary the popular opinion on the Milloy release is he didn't have the cover skills for the scheme. But what about John Lynch? Nobody is gonna rave about his cover skills but he has been pretty good in this scheme. I personally prefer if at least one of my safetys can really hit the you know what out of the reciever. Sure we may lose some coverage ability but if we are gonna go with Vincent at FS I'm targeting either Archuletta or Tank Williams. No matter what the scheme I think you gotta have a physical presence back there somewhere. I'd be interested in some other opinions on ths subject. Oh, of course the front four improving can make a lot of things better so don't think I'm forgetting about the lines, because we can't take ANYTHING but someone who at least weighs 300 lbs. with our 1st round draft pick! :rolleyes:  :)

621792[/snapback]

We have got to go after Tank. I think he would be great for our D.