Davis as a #1 WR?

I'm sure you would have found it hard to believe that someone that NEVER played college football had more receptions this season than marvin harrison and eric moulds. (Antonio Gates)

Maybe someone like davis cant be a #1 WR in this league, but they can be a #1 target.

621423[/snapback]

Well, yes, but if the qb don't have the skills or the time to get the ball his way, what does it matter? With today's rules, a receiver getting open isn't as hard as it used to be.

I am by no means an expert, but I really like the idea of us running a 2 TE set with Everett and Davis. I would think it would create match-up problems, however it's contingent on have our TE's be able to block as well as they can catch.

620644[/snapback]

Yes, the key would be the versatility you'd have a with a TE like Davis. The Bills offense has tended to be pretty predictable over the last few years. Think of the use of the TE similar to the blitzing defense we've had. From play to play there's the unknown of which players could be involved in a pass play.

Just like with the defense where another team wouldn't know if the blitz was coming from an outside LB or a corner, you could have the two TEs that were both good at blocking and receiving. One one play, one TE goes out on a pattern while the other stays in to block. On another play they reverse roles.

We don't know how the current team management will look at things but I would like them to go for versatility and an impact player with the 8th pick. I would also like the idea of drating Huff. Think of some of the top defenses and their top players. Pittsburgh , for instance, has Troy Polamalu at strong safety. He's an excellent player that brings a lot of versatility. He can come up to support the run, blitz on a definite passing down and also get back into coverage. I''m not very familar with Huff but if that's the kind of player he is, he could help the defense tremendously. It seems the Bills management had determined that Lawyer Milloy may have given them the run suport and blitzing abilities but he wasn't very goo d in pass coverage.

Takeo Spikes gives the Bills the same type of player at LB, as he also is effective whether it's in pass coverage, blitzing or supporting the run.

I'm sure you would have found it hard to believe that someone that NEVER played college football had more receptions this season than marvin harrison and eric moulds. (Antonio Gates)

Maybe someone like davis cant be a #1 WR in this league, but they can be a #1 target.

621423[/snapback]

Antonio who??? I've never ever heard of him....he must be new. Oh wait I remember...signed him on Madden once.

Seriously though, couple years ago...yeah I would have said that was crazy. oh, by the way...you do realize that Antonio Gates wasnt even drafted, its not like SD was expecting much out of him as you would someone with your 1st pick. Would you have picked Gates with the 8th pick that year? Also, Harrison had more yards and touchdowns.

Davis has shown me nothing in college that makes me believe he is the second coming of Antonio Gates...other than his 40 time. I went to west virginia, I went to every Maryland game... I've seen him play. Reminds me of Kellen Winslow another tweener WR/TE. You're banking too much on a crap shoot at 8 with a tweener instead of a defensive leader in Michael Huff, a wall of a man on the DLine in Ngata, or a solid Tackle if by some act of God Ferguson drops to the 8 spot.

If you think we really need a TE this draft Joe Klopfenstein out of Colorado is more of what the Bills need. He can block and catch and would be a great 3rd round pick should he fall to there. Otherwise Jeff King out of Virginia Tech is another one that can block and catch and would be great in the 6th of 7th.