Did Troy Vincent suck last year?

Guest BackInDaDay
Shelton Quarles plays mike.  Derrick Brooks is their will.  Ryan Nece is the sam.  Of course, it's understood that they'll change their coverages down to down.

I was thinking about Wire too, actually, when reading your earlier post.  Spikes, if he can still play at a high level, should really stay at the wil spot in this Pewter Power defense;  but, if he can't run, maybe he flips over to sam.  Crowell, I think, got his legs under him during the season as wil too (2nd on the team in tackles IIRC).

Posey had his best year in a 3-4 defense for the Texans.  He may just be better suited in that system.

Yep.  The Bills don't have a McFarland on the inside nor do they have a Rice and SPires on the ends.

Marv and the new deputies have their work cut out for themselves.

600707[/snapback]

I'd agree about Posey if I ever saw any sign of life outa the guy. But hey, we know we're he doesn't excel. Hope Fewell can get help him find his motor.

Yeah, I gotta think we're a couple off-seasons away from making this a championship D. but with a move here or there, I think Jauron might get these guys into a comfortable place for '06. Nice talkin' Xs&Os with you.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can we just call this a "mike cover 3" (MC3) since there are 3 deep zones and the mike is in the middle?  (and, its not a rolled cover 3)

In this MC3 scheme the deep zones seem to be the least of the Bills worries, no?

In the under zones, it's almost all question marks:

- Clements? someone else?

- can Spikes come back?

- can Posey cover anybody? is he gone?

- McGee should be ok

But the scary part is the front.  How do you run a zone like this with no pass rush?  For that matter who stops the run?  They couldn't do it last year with 8 and 9 in the box.  And, then you mention a smaller mike.  Scary stuff.

But, it just goes to show once again, that the Bills need to fix the mess in the trenches on both sides of the ball.

600614[/snapback]

) think you are right on target about it all starting in thr trenches> The switch announced by Jauron really heightens the probability that we will use our first on a DL player, probably a DT with run stopping chops who has some ability to pressure the QB by collapasing the pocket or blowing through the line, and likely Ngota from the bits I have seen about him.

It also heightens the possibility that Adams stays, Though he is not known for being a run stuffer, he has the bulk to play this role and by all weve seen even well into the backside of his career he still has a quick first step where if he guess right he is in the QBs face or blows up the run in the backfield/

It interests me that some reacted to this annoucement by announcing the deaths as Bills of Milloy and Vincent when I think compared to the roles they were asked to played to make the zone blitz work neither was up to it this year this should/could be a new lease on life for the two of them.

I would guess thatTV is the most likely keeper of the two since this scheme switch plays more to his pass coverage strengths and away from tackling responsibility for him as though all players must tackle, the zone blitz gave serious run stopping duty to both our safeties.

While I think Milloy's experience will meet any additional problems he will have with more requirements to run long distances in the cover 2 rather than the zone blitz. The issue of his cap hit and the scheme going away from his tackling strength I think he is a likely cut.

I had figured that this switch also will make Coy Wire smile as he will get a hair more time to make decisions though I still think he s a goner because he won't stay with a big salary primarily for ST duty. However. I had not given thought to the concept of him going bact LB duty which got him drafted in the first place.

I still do not think he stays though as an LB since I think the cover 2 will likely increase the need for qood reads and decision making by the LBs.

Coy Wire should not be on an NFL roster and were it not for Tom Donahoe, he would have been cut a long time ago. He's TD's towel boy -- another one of his "cute" picks that seemed really cool at the time but never panned out. Instead of realizing the mistake Coy Wire was, Donahoe extended him and kept him around... my suspicion is that Wire is gone and a young safety is brought in to take over for Milloy, who will be gone after this season.

I think Milloy stays this year.

While I think Milloy's experience will meet any additional problems he will have with more requirements to run long distances in the cover 2 rather than the zone blitz. The issue of his cap hit and the scheme going away from his tackling strength I think he is a likely cut.

I had figured that this switch also will make Coy Wire smile as he will get a hair more time to make decisions though I still think he s a goner because he won't stay with a big salary primarily for ST duty.  However. I had not given thought to the concept of him going bact LB duty which got him drafted in the first place.

600741[/snapback]

Guest BackInDaDay
It also heightens the possibility that Adams stays, Though he is not known for being a run stuffer, he has the bulk to play this role and by all weve seen even well into the backside of his career he still has a quick first step where if he guess right he is in the QBs face or blows up the run in the backfield.

600741[/snapback]

Adams has to play as a 2-gap interior DL. He has already been quoted, post-season, that he'd like to stay on in any capacity. I hope he does. His 1-gap talents will allow Fewell to work some inside stunts in.

It interests me that some reacted to this annoucement by announcing the deaths as Bills of Milloy and Vincent when I think compared to the roles they were asked to played to make the zone blitz work neither was up to it this year this should/could be a new lease on life for the two of them.

600741[/snapback]

Jus an FYI. A zone-blitz, or fire-blitz, is not a base defense. It's used to pressure the QB from players he doesn't see coming, or worse - does see coming and anticipates their zone will be open. The zone coverage responsibilities are taken by other defenders, often D linemen, adding to the QB's confusion.

Gray, like his mentor Williams (like his mentor Fisher; like his mentor Ryan) installed a D with roots in Ryan's famous 46. The idea is to bring 8 men up to the LOS, each with a single gap, run stopping responsibility. In it's base formation, the 3 LBs shift down the line, strong to weak, and the S comes up to cover the TE.

This left us you in pretty much a cover-1, with Vincent playing the middle of the field, and Clements and McGhee responsible for their 1/3 - from shallow to deep.

600741[/snapback]

You might be onto something, here. I wasn't aware he was a recoverable expense.

I had figured that this switch also will make Coy Wire smile as he will get a hair more time to make decisions though I still think he s a goner because he won't stay with a big salary primarily for ST duty.  However. I had not given thought to the concept of him going bact LB duty which got him drafted in the first place.

600741[/snapback]

Wire was very good RB at Stanford. Moved to LB when a better player took over.

In the Senior Bowl (or one of those post-season college all-star games) he was show-cased at a safety spot for the pro scouts. He was drafted as a safety.

I still do not think he stays though as an LB since I think the cover 2 will likely increase the need for qood reads and decision making by the LBs.

600741[/snapback]

You're cutting Milloy and Wire? Actually, if Wire shows any kind of knack for Fewell's D, he might be our Quarles or June.

The great thing about a cover-2 and the Dungy/Kiffin version of it, is that all the LBs and DBs have definate responsibilities once they read pass. But only a fierce D line makes that possible.