So, what DO you like about the Bills nowadays?

Grant

A friend asked me the other day, "Jeez, man. Why do you like the Bills?"

Ordinarily, such a comment would not affect me in the slightest. There are hundreds of thousands of reasons I like the Bills. What do I care what he thinks?

But I got thinking.

Aside from the fact that the Buffalo Bills still play in Buffalo and the fact that I have a strong reverence for past incarnations of this team, I can't really remember why I like these Bills.

-Aside from a small handful, I don't care for many of the "me first!" players on the roster.

-I'm unenthused with the head coach, who has yet to really succeed anywhere. It would be nice if he started here though.

-Marv Levy as GM only worries me and so far hasn't made a decision to ease that.

-The current uniforms look ridiculous.

I'm looking for good reasons to support THIS VERSION of the Buffalo Bills. We all loved the teams of the past. What are these Bills doing to earn my support and money? Am I just rooting for the "Buffalo" in Buffalo Bills or is there something on this team worth cheering for?

PS.

If you're thinking of replying with something to the effect of "If you don't like 'em, GIT OUT!", you can save it.

And bonus points go to replies that avoid schmaltzy sentiment like "back in my day, being a Bills fan MEANT something"

...friendliness...I've come from Oz to Buffalo 4 times now and it's been very friendly (apart from the cabbie who ripped me off my first time). John Guy was great- actually, fantastic.The training camp set up is really nice as well, great little town. The police were helpful too. There's quite a bit for a football fan to do in Buffalo, apart from, well football, Fort Niagra, the naval musuem, Niagra...The fans have been great too, as have the folk from the Stadium wall that i've met up with. The Big Tree Inn. Buffalo wings...that's enough?

I've always felt the Bills carry more of an identity with the city than most any other pro sports organization. Certainly any community will use a sports team as a rallying cry for boosting a city or metro area, but I think that concept is stronger (and maybe a bit unhealthy) in Buffalo. I think some of the more downtrodden towns over the years treat their sports teams like that. The Clevelands, Pittsburghs....and others of that ilk.

In Buffalo it takes on an even larger role. It becomes the identity of the community that is portrayed around the nation. Winning is probably viewed by some as the only positive bit of news that can be leaked out in the national press. It's like a football team producing positive results for an entire metro area. It becomes a very serious thing, too serious. I tend to think it becomes the entire focal point of the region. That is an unhealthy obsession.