Gary Crowton ?

Lofton80

I wonder if Jauron digs into his past for an OC and tabs Gary Crowton from Oregon where he is the OC for Mike Bellotti. Crowton was innovative in Chicago with less talent in the skill positions than we have today in Buffalo.

Bio from Scout.com attached below

The 47-year-old Orem, Utah, native comes to Oregon after accumulating a 47-36 record in four seasons as head coach at BYU (2001-04) and Lousiana Tech (1996-98), as well as two years as offensive coordinator with the Chicago Bears (1999-2000) in the National Football League.

He replaces Andy Ludwig, who resigned his position following three seasons to become offensive coordinator at the University of Utah.

In his first year guiding the Cougars, Crowton devised an offense which led the nation in total offense (542.9 avg.) and scoring (46.8 avg.), while BYU finished 2001 with a 12-2 record and a Mountain West Conference championship. For his efforts, he was named conference and district coach of the year. During his head-coaching tenure in Provo, the Cougars averaged better than 409 yards of total offense while tallying a 26-23 ledger.

In 1999 with the Chicago Bears, his offense ranked third in the NFL in passing (258.5 avg.) while establishing a franchise record with 4,136 yards through the air, as well as eighth in the league in total offense (345.2 avg.).

In three seasons as head coach at Louisiana Tech, Crowton built an offenses that tallied 12,745 yards (374.9 per game avg.) and 115 touchdowns passing. In his final season, the Bulldogs passed for a school-record 4,943 yards while leading the country in passing (432.1 avg.) and finishing second in total offense (542.0 avg.). Louisiana Tech also scored 50 or more points in eight of 12 games in 1998 while eclipsing 300 yards passing on 10 occasions.

In 1997, Louisiana Tech ranked third in the country in both passing (360.5 avg.) and total offense (496.0 avg.).

He accumulated a record of 21-13 at the Ruston, La., school, including a 9-2 slate in 1997.

“I’ve known Gary Crowton for three years and known of him for about 10 or 15 years,” Bellotti said. “He’s been an excellent football coach, both as a head coach and an offensive coordinator at the Division I level and in the National Football League. He’s had great success coordinating offenses, he knows how to make quarterbacks successful, he’s very innovative and creative within the offensive structure and his philosophy fits well with mine.