left tackle

colin

out of all of the questions we have i think the one that needs to be answered the most is left tackle.

the only guy coming out of the draft who is good enough to step up day one (as accurately as pre draft analysis can predict) is d'brick, and top LT prospects have struggled more often than not (Davis in zona, gallary, ogden was a guard first, mckinny, mike williams even the he is a RT).

this makes me think we would be just as well off getting a guy with upside in the second round in this deep draft and taking the best defensive player on the board in round 1.

so who plays left tackle?

my hope is that peters can switch, we keep williams cheaper at RT, and get bently at C. any number of possibilities would work out very well at guard with that line up.

it is easier to turn a D around (see what ours did in 03, and how it fell in 05), so spikes coming back and an impact lineman in the draft could be enough to get us back into the top 10, but i'm hoping all of our young talent on the O side of the ball will come into their own with a little help from the line.

what do you guys think we should do at LT? there are guys out there or on our roster to solve any of the other single OL positions IMO

I'm not sure you can answer this question until the Mike Williams problem is resolved. I want to know what happens with a restructuring or if he is going to be cut. I believe Big Mike is the key here. He has a lot of OL money locked up - so signing FA's is going to be tough until we solve that... In addition, you have a high priced guy in there that you really have to play at his current price, so RT is pretty much where you'll have to play him...

Also - the key right now is to get a proper LG in. We've been too weak at LG since Ruben Brown left... I think we need to build from the middle out... Teague needs a switch out and we need to figure out if Duke Preston can play C. To me I'd rather go with a guy like Duke or the kid Mangrove from the draft at C and spend some money on a QUALITY FA LT and LG. That way you can have Peters and Williams battle it out for RT and let CV hang on to the RG spot.