Capers expected to head to Miami

bernie

Ex-Texans coach Capers expected to head to Miami ESPN.com news services

The Miami Dolphins are expected to name former Houston Texans head coach Dom Capers as their new defensive coordinator, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported.

Richard Smith and Will Muschamp essentially served as the unit's co-coordinators in 2005. Smith had the title of defensive coordinator, while Muschamp's title Assistant Head Coach/Defense.

Recently dismissed as the Texans' head coach, Capers posted an 18-46 record in four seasons (2002-05), including a league-worst 2-14 mark this year. He was 31-35 in four seasons (1995-98) with the Carolina Panthers, and Capers was the first head coach in the history of both teams.

In only the second season of the franchise's existence, Capers, 55, led the Panthers to the NFC Championship Game in 1996. He was unable to register the same kind of results, though, in Houston, where the Texans never won more than seven games in a season under his stewardship and regressed badly in 2005.

Capers interviewed Friday for the head coach vacancy of the Buffalo Bills.

Information from ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli was used in this report

I think he and Mularkey might be very good as Assistant Head Coaches in Miami. Makes me hearken back to my advocating for Nick Saban for Buffalo a few years back (OHH...he'd never leave LSU) Miami is setting a whole new pay scale for assistant coaches (and Washington is competing for the lead.) Thank God we have Jauron and the other loser he's bringing with him.

this sucks.

guys who we took in as a head coach are getting put back into coordinator roles and doing (or will do) great.

i really think ralph's cheap stingyness is going to catch up if all the top coaches get sucked into just a few places.