Why I am not bummed at all Sherman is not coming

It certainly is not because I think a great deal of Jauron, but because given Sherman's background and skills it is hard for me to see how he wins here.

Sherman ended up not working out in Detroit because they took the GM role from him and relegated him to only being an HC.

He wasn't umsuccessful there playing both roles (though usually it is too much for one guy to do well) mostly in my view because the prescence of Brett Favre provided one of the most reliable answers ever at QB (a position which unfortunately most teams and certainly the Bills since they needed to replace Kelly have put too much faith and time into to the detriment of the team and winning football) and thus to the O.

The main problem I see on the Bill right now is that under the TD regime he did some extraordinary things both on and off the field, but overall, his primary motivation (either conciously or unconciously) seemed to be making sure that he did not have an HC here that could run him out of town like Cowher did.

This led to the dissension of him picking GW over Fox and Lewis (in retrospect Fox is better HC and he should have sucked up to Lewis and his wife to get them here amd then picling MM.

He seemed almost passive/aggressive in managing GW virtually not minding if he failed as long as he did not get blamed but really keeping GW on a short leash (as seen in the sorry Larry Centers incident) and with MM, he seemed to exercise too much control as MM ended up being and looking indecisive amidst the dumb decision to extend and then take the cap hit of cutting Bledsoe.

At any rate, i really doubt that if Sherman came he would not want a strong role in the GM phase of the game and if he and Marv had disagreements (virtually guaranteed) the media would assure that these disputes were not resolved creatively and positively but they would have tried to sell advertising by chronicling this as yet another mano a mano fight.

If Sherman came here and ran the store that would have been one thing, however, to add him wanting to run a ship which between Ralph wanting to more active, and Modrak hanging around already seems to have too many cooks.

Sherman coming without having near total control would likely have made this bad, and I mean really bad.

<snip>

The main problem I see on the Bill right now is that under the TD regime he did some extraordinary things both on and off the field, but overall, his primary motivation (either conciously or unconciously) seemed to be making sure that he did not have an HC here that could run him out of town like Cowher did.

He seemed almost passive/aggressive in managing GW virtually not minding if he failed as long as he did not get blamed but really keeping GW on a short leash (as seen in the sorry Larry Centers incident)

579108[/snapback]

<snip>

Could you elaborate on this incident with Centers?

THX

Could you elaborate on this incident with Centers?

THX

579121[/snapback]

If I'm not mistaken, GW really liked Larry Centers and pretty much told him he'd have a job as long as he was HC. Then, after two years, Larry Centers was let go. It was "assumed" it was not GW's decision and likely it wasn't since GW was already on record otherwise.

If I'm not mistaken, GW really liked Larry Centers and pretty much told him he'd have a job as long as he was HC. Then, after two years, Larry Centers was let go. It was "assumed" it was not GW's decision and likely it wasn't since GW was already on record otherwise.

579129[/snapback]

It was even worse than that as GW not only gave Center's assurances but publicly said that Larrt Centers would remain a Bill as long as he wanted to.

Within two weeks max (it might have been as short as a week) Centers was cut and Gash was signed.

Either GW simply flat-out lied or he was completely out of the loop in a major personnel and offensive direction question.

My sense is either way, TD slapped GW's hand when he strayed too far into GM teritory as personel acqusition was a TD decision with "consultation" with his HC.

I love Gash (though I think Centers had served us well and had something left) but personnel issues aside I think this said a lot about TD's motivations and is the aggressive side of his personality which goes along with the passive side where TD publicly said as the hello MM press conference that he had advocated taking Clements as OC when Sheppard got canned (another case TD overriding GW hard early in the process) but GW got his man in hiring Kevin Killdrive.

The situation was poison right from the start.