A case for the o-line...

MattyT

First off, let me say that I have not replayed the Raiders game to do any of this attempted analysis because I have neither the capacity, nor the intestinal fortitude. I encourage anyone who has replayed the game specifically looking at the blocking breakdowns to tell me that I am full of stevestojan if appropriate.

However, having watched the game once and looking at some of the stats, something stood out to me. I don't think that the "new look" O-line is as horrible at pass protection as many think. Defining the O-line, I'm talking about the tackles, guards, and center, not HBs, FBs, TEs or WRs. That may seem obvious but it is important to make this distinction because not including the skill positions is the basis of the argument.

Looking at the Raiders defensive statistics shows that 2.5 sacks were given to defensive linemen (DEs & DTs) and 4.5 sacks were given to LBs and CBs. That is somewhat telling.

The primary responsibility of an O-lineman is containing one or more members of the defensive line. Certain packages may change that responsibility somewhat, but I think it is generally a safe assumption.

So really, the fault for a majority of the sacks can be placed on...

1) the TEs, HBs, and FB for not blocking the LBs, CBs, and Safeties sufficiently

2) Bledsoe for hanging on to the ball too long and not changing plays or blocking schemes to either defend against, or take advantage of the mismatch created by the blitz.

I believe that the 2.5 sacks allowed to the defensive lineman was mostly due to having two big beefy pro-bowlers at the DT position that required double teaming. Which, now that I think about it, points blame back to the TEs for not covering the OL duties while the DTs were being double teamed.

Also, sorry to condemn Drew further, but having seen some of the plays where Henry and Shelton ran right past the blitzers into the flat...I am almost certain that some of those plays were run exactly as designed and Drew failed to get the ball past the blitzer before being dumped like last Thursdays trash.

Some of your assumptions are borne out by the game film. The OLine did an effective enough job on the road in Oakland, playing a new scheme for all of them and with basically a rookie at one gaurd spot, to win the game. Where the majorty of the breakdowns occurred were with Henry/Shelton and McGahee missing blitz pickups altogether or making pansy ass attempts on others. To be fair there were sacks given up by both our OTackles but for the most part the blitz schemes used by Ryan Jr. called for running back pick ups.

Henry is awful at pass blocking and McGahee's whiff in the second half does little to inspire confidence.

On TEs Euhus is too small to be an effective blocker but Cambell is having a strong year for us. He's blocking better than he has since he arrived.

I believe that the 2.5 sacks allowed to the defensive lineman was mostly due to having two big beefy pro-bowlers at the DT position that required double teaming. Which, now that I think about it, points blame back to the TEs for not covering the OL duties while the DTs were being double teamed.

41801[/snapback]

Good analysis, I agree that our blitz pickup is HORRIBLE, but that is something that can be worked on. Our OL does need to get its stevestojan together though. Only error in the post I saw was that 2nd to last paragraph. The Raiders now run a 3-4 with Sapp playing as a DE. However, since 2 of their outside linebackers are former DE's drafted by the Raiders, I would hesitate to call it a true 3-4, where at most 1 player is usually a former DE.