Moving To Vegas

Kent14

When committing an illegal act always place a plastic bag over your shooting hand with the weapon inside, when fired the bag will catch the cartridge.

AAlso, they can only trace the catridges if they have the weapon to tie it to.  Destroy the weapon, no trace.

572826[/snapback]

I always appreciate a professional viewpoint. :doh:

He moved out there the first week of November.  I'm not sure how he got the job but he ended up checking people in at the front desk.  He didn't start the job until the 3rd week of November.  Two weeks ago he told me he was getting a promotion to assistant manager.  He said with that job he would clear over $38,000 per year.  Not crazy money by any stretch but impressive for a guy that never made more than $12/hour around WNY, never went to college, barely graduated high school, and has only been out there for 2 1/2 months.

572551[/snapback]

Happens to be the same place I work -- first I highly doubt he is being promoted to Asst Mger after less than 3 months - he would not even be "on his own" working at the desk for very long right now, if at all. Also that $38k is a little inflated, unless he plans on working alot of OT and getting tips, etc. May be sugarcoating some of that.

Other than that which bothered me when I read it lol, I think this is a great place to live. It's just more upbeat than WNY. More options of things to do outside of work, great places to eat (ok they are expensive and nothing like the places in WNY, but not much is), and some really nice places to live as long as you can afford. And of course the weather is great. Its almost 8 pm here right now and about 60 degrees outside. I think so far this "winter" its gotten to 32 twice in the early am. That's it. And it's funny to see everyone running around all bundled up with winter type clothes on while I have a sweatshirt on. Definitely good place to live, and being an ex WNYer i would definitely agree. If you're going to be here during football season, go to Johnny Macs on Boulder Hwy in Henderson, great food and great crowds for the Bills games.

Very good!  Yes, they probably would be.

573040[/snapback]

Nope. The energy quickly leaves the casing, propelling the projectile as the hot gas rushes forward, and what heat is left in the casing transfers quickly to the chamber. The start of combustion actually expands the casing against the chamber walls, enhancing the energy transfer and sealing off gas blow-back. And that's why if you reload center-fire ammunition, you use a die to resize the brass. You might be able to use one unsized reload, depending on your firearm's tolerances, but seldom two reloads with the same unsized brass. It also expand axially, so after some time you have to cut a bit off the business end. That's a one time thing - after, it's time to retire that casing.

In military machinegunning, it's the barrel that take the brunt, All such weapons have frequent barrel changes. In older times, water-cooling solved that - one could trigger them forever. Ease of barrel change-out is a big thing in that business these days.

Like engine exhaust manifolds, machine gun barrells can glow orange and then they get whippy and lose accuracy. Then melt, since they have nowhere near the meat of an iron manifold.<_<

Happens to be the same place I work -- first I highly doubt he is being promoted to Asst Mger after less than 3 months - he would not even be "on his own" working at the desk for very long right now, if at all. Also that $38k is a little inflated, unless he plans on working alot of OT and getting tips, etc.  May be sugarcoating some of that.

Other than that which bothered me when I read it lol, I think this is a great place to live.  It's just more upbeat than WNY.  More options of things to do outside of work, great places to eat (ok they are expensive and nothing like the places in WNY, but not much is), and some really nice places to live as long as you can afford.  And of course the weather is great.  Its almost 8 pm here right now and about 60 degrees outside.  I think so far this "winter" its gotten to 32 twice in the early am.  That's it.  And it's funny to see everyone running around all bundled up with winter type clothes on while I have a sweatshirt on.  Definitely good place to live, and being an ex WNYer i would definitely agree.  If you're going to be here during football season, go to Johnny Macs on Boulder Hwy in Henderson, great food and great crowds for the Bills games.

573577[/snapback]

He could easily have been exaggerating a bit.

How long have you been out there? I guess the main questions I have pertain to what area I should be looking at for an apartment/house. How would you compare the cost of living to WNY?

Been here about 8 months. Apartments are pretty easy to find, unless you come at the time I did (May-June) which is when most people are moving, there are less available then. Cost of living is just a little above WNY, but not bad unless you want to buy a place to live, which can get really expensive, but also not a bad investment if you can afford. Most of the suburb type areas like Summerlin, Green Valley, parts of Henderson are great to live and only a short drive from anywhere on the strip - I live in Green Valley which is south-southwest of the strip and take about 15-20 mins to get to work. I wouldn't suggest living too close to the strip, can get pretty bad in those areas, and I've heard North Las Vegas is not too great either. Also remember about cost of living - there is no state income tax, so you keep more of what you make.

All this talk of moving to Vegas is giving me the itch. I'll never get the wife to agree to a move to Vegas, and the actual move would be a logistical nightmare, but I'd love to be out there getting sun year round and have the excitement of Las Vegas in my back yard. Oh well one can dream.

Thanks for the info. I've been trying to find stuff online about neighborhoods but they aren't very informative. If the move happens it will be in July. Gives us a chance to get settled before the school year starts. I NEED to convince the wife to do this. She is very much against leaving her family. <_<