Why would anyone expect Jauron....

Dr. K

I guess we ought to reserve judgment until we know more.  At least I will back off on this.

573247[/snapback]

Good to hear. Especially if Jauron is hired, there's nothing worse than not believing in the new Head Coach.

I think Jauron is an interesting choice. Yes, the Bears got a ton of breaks in their 13-3 year - but every NFL team gets some breaks during the year. So maybe with some different bounces the Bears lose the Browns and 49ers games. That's still 11-5... with a roster that really should have been 4-12. On offense they had Jim Miller and Anthony Thomas - two guys who very quickly became NFL backups, and their only WR was Marty Booker, with a bunch of nobodies lining up on the other side of the field. Their TE's were probably the biggest collection of no-names since the Bills lined up Lonnie Johnson, Rob Coons, and Tony Cline. Yes, the defense carried this team, but their defensive roster doesn't exactly evince evidence of being loaded with great players. Looking closer at the Bears personnel during the Jauron era, the Bears look like they had some really weak drafts during that time. In his first year, they drafted Cade McNown in the 1st Round - one of the worst 1st Round QB's ever, and their second rounder, Russell Davis, was off the team after just one season. The 2000 draft was a winner with Urlacher and Mike Brown, but by 2001 they were drafting the likes of David Terrell and Marc Colombo, both first round busts. So, while Jauron definitely has fewer playoff seasons and wins than Mike Sherman, Jauron seems to have been operating with significantly less talent at his disposal - the difference between Brett Favre and Ahman Green vs. Jim Miller and Anthony Thomas.

And 13-3 is still 13-3.... that's the best record Marv Levy ever achieved with the Bills. Its also worth noting that before the 2001 season, the Bears' GM resigned. The new GM, Angelo, wanted to get rid of Jauron, but couldn't after the 13-3 season, but took the opportunity to do so after subsequebt 4-12 and 7-9 seasons. While some people talk about Jauron being upset in the playoffs by a solid Philadelphia Eagles team, the truth of the matter is that coaches with tons of playoff wins generally aren't available.

JDG