Very nice comment about Levy

Draconator

Contra Costa Times

No waffling about these observations

By Eric Gilmore

TIMES COLUMNIST

Quick hits while we start the countdown for the 2006 NFL draft, raise a glass to Marv Levy and wonder when former A's shortstop Miguel Tejada will change his mind again and demand to be traded.

• It's usually dangerous to choose a role model from professional sports. You're just asking to be disappointed.

But in this case, I think I've found our guy: Marv Levy.

He's 80 years old, runs three miles five times a week, has a master's from Harvard and just took a new job as general manager of the Buffalo Bills. He has more energy than two forty-somethings.

The former Bills and Cal coach led Buffalo to a 123-78 record and four Super Bowls in 12 seasons from 1986-97. So the Bills lost all four of those Super Bowls. Who cares? He's running an NFL team at 80!

"The age factor means nothing to me," Levy said last week during a news conference. "I'm old enough to know my limitations and I'm young enough to exceed them."

Levy was 61 in 1986 when the Bills hired him as their coach.

"It sounded too old, so I lied and said I was 58," Levy said. "Finally I cleared that up. Maybe as I matured I realized (age) wasn't a factor. It's what you can do that counts."