Wow ... no love for JP?

I suppose I am just confused about the whole JP situation. I would understand if this was his 3rd year starting and he had this type of year. But it was'nt. This was his first year as a starting QB. Lets take a look:

--------------------------------

Carson Palmer 1st year starting ::: 263/432 (60.9%) for 2,897 yards, 18 TD, 18 INT

Carson Palmer 2nd year starting ::: 345/509 (67.8%) for 3,836, 32 TD, 12 INT

**started 13 games first year starting

Byron Leftwich 1st year starting ::: 239/418 (57.2%) for 2,819 yards, 14 TD, 16 INT

Byron Leftwich 2nd year starting ::: 267/441 (60.5%) for 2,941yards, 15 TD, 10 INT

Byron Leftwich 3rd year starting ::: 175/302 (57.9%) for 2,123 yards, 15 TD, 5 INT

**started 14 games second year starting

**started 11 games third year starting (got hurt)

Eli Manning 1st year starting ::: 95/197 (48.2%) for 1,043 yards, 6 TD, 9 INT

Eli Manning 2nd year starting ::: 294/557 (52.8%) for 3,762 yards, 24 TD, 17 INT

**started 7 games first year starting

JP Losman 1st year starting ::: 113/228 (49.6%) for 1,340 yards, 8 TD, 8 INT

JP Losman 2nd year starting ::: ???

**started 8 games first year starting

My whole point is this. Many people seem to want to give up on this kid. Why? After one year as a starting QB ... one year as a starting QB who played 8 games? In my opinion we should have started him to the entire year. We were not going to make the playoffs either way and this way, he could have ironed out a lot more than when he was sitting on the bench.

BTW: I picked these QB's because even though they had a rough first year, in their 2nd or 3rd year they had good numbers and had their teams in the playoffs.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with you, frenchie......JP has not had nearly enough time for there to be any conclusions drawn. I'm not giving up on him. I think he's got the perfect mentality for a Buffalo QB.

I suppose I am just confused about the whole JP situation. I would understand if this was his 3rd year starting and he had this type of year. But it was'nt. This was his first year as a starting QB. Lets take a look:

Carson Palmer 1st year starting ::: 263/432 (60.9%) for 2,897 yards, 18 TD, 18 INT

Byron Leftwich 1st year starting ::: 239/418 (57.2%) for 2,819 yards, 14 TD, 16 INT

Byron Leftwich 2nd year starting ::: 267/441 (60.5%) for 2,941yards, 15 TD, 10 INT

Byron Leftwich 3rd year starting ::: 175/302 (57.9%) for 2,123 yards, 15 TD, 5 INT

Eli Manning 2nd year starting :::  294/557 (52.8%) for  3,762 yards, 24 TD, 17 INT

My whole point is this. Many people seem to want to give up on this kid. Why? After one year as a starting QB ... one year as a starting QB who played 8 games? In my opinion we should have started him to the entire year. We were not going to make the playoffs either way and this way, he could have ironed out a lot more than when he was sitting on the bench.

BTW: I picked these QB's because even though they had a rough first year, in their 2nd or 3rd year they had good numbers and had their teams in the playoffs.

559228[/snapback]

STOP IT! You are making way too much sense for many people on this board.

The numbers you posted are certainly encouraging and are a nice reminder that sometimes experience can cure a lot.

I think some people are discouraged about Losman, though, because there wasn't much progress evident. He didn't seem to be able to read defenses any better from week to week; in some cases, it seemed like he was regressing.

I think people will embrace Losman a bit more once he shows some progress next year. And in all likelihood, he will.

Eli Manning 2nd year starting :::  294/557 (52.8%) for  3,762 yards, 24 TD, 17 INT

559228[/snapback]

Great post, he is a very good young Qb and I hope Marv & MM will let him play.

559228[/snapback]

it's pretty hard to tell whether he's any good playing behind the line we had. about all we know for sure is that he was overwhelmed. that said, i'm not sold on him...but seriously, at this point, how can you tell?

The numbers you posted are certainly encouraging and are a nice reminder that sometimes experience can cure a lot.

I think some people are discouraged about Losman, though, because there wasn't much progress evident. He didn't seem to be able to read defenses any better from week to week; in some cases, it seemed like he was regressing.

I think people will embrace Losman a bit more once he shows some progress next year. And in all likelihood, he will.

559240[/snapback]

Once the OL is addressed, we should be able to see some progress out of JP. Assuming of course that the job isn't given to a journeyman backup again.

Or Marcus Vick. :unsure:

i'm not sold on him...but seriously, at this point, how can you tell?

559243[/snapback]

I think this is a great way to look at Losman at this point.

Really, no one should be sold on Losman yet because he hasn't shown anything worth buying. Not yet. But, as you said, it's too early to tell whether or not he'll be good or bad.

559240[/snapback]

The only problem with this is that he wasn't given the chance to progress. He was pulled out of the line up.....twice! (Injury my ass)

Manning looked pretty bad from his first start to his last, and looked much better this year. If these coaches would give JP the CHANCE to make mistakes and learn from them, I would have high expectations for him.

I am more than willing to call a duck a duck. If JP were a failed experiment, I would say so. But when someone says JP has had two seasons and is still horrible, they are just looking for things to complain about. PLAYING TIME IS IMPORTANT.

Explain the Frenchie part? Lol ...

559233[/snapback]

What da hell is a daquixers? Sounded like some french word to me.....sorry man :unsure:

559240[/snapback]

My friend, go to espn.com and look at JP's numbers. He had essentially two halves to the season. The first 4 games, then he got benched, and then the last 5 games with 4 starts. His numbers break down like this:

First half: 45/94 for 433 yds (47.9%) 1 TD 2 INT 52.3 QB RTG 19 rushes for 102 yds (5.4ypc)

Second half: 68/134 for 907 yds (50.7%) 7 TD 6 INT 77.5 QB RTG 12 rushes for 52 yds (4.3ypc)

So in his second half, he threw for more than twice as many yards, for 6 more touches and 4 more picks, and he pulled up his QB rating by 25 points and pulled his completion percentage over 50%. All of this in about 3 more quarters more playing time in the second half. If anything, you can say he was inconsistent from game to game. He had some pretty good games and some pretty bad games. I guess we now require all first year quarterbacks to be Ben Roethlisberger. But the numbers clearly indicate that he did in fact improve over the course of the season, and deserved to start the final two games of the season over kelly holcomb.

559228[/snapback]

great post, thanks

The only problem with this is that he wasn't given the chance to progress.  He was pulled out of the line up.....twice!  (Injury my ass)

Oh, definitely. The waffling over Losman/Holcomb certainly had a negative impact on his progression, no doubt.

I was referencing more to Losman's solid performance in week one and then awful performances in the games to follow. Then we played Holcomb, and when Losman was re-inserted in the KC game, Losman looked good again. And after that, he went back to looking bad. So that might seem discouraging to folks.

But I do agree that Losman wasn't given a fair chance this year. Really, we should've just resigned ourselves to a pathetic record this year. It shouldn't have been a surprise. But everyone was telling us this off-season how far Wyche had brought JP and how we could make the playoffs like Pittsburgh did last year with Big Ben- a running game and strong defense. We didn't account for the defense imploding and Willis' laziness.

LOL ... honestly I just made it up ... its cool though  :lol:

559264[/snapback]

You sure did.....not even Google knew what the hell it was. Nice job :unsure: