3-4 talk and personnel

PISSCHUNK

Our depth at LB is good. Extending CROWELL was something that had to be done as he is a good young football player, regardless of the type of DEF we will have here. Assuming TAKEO is healthy for next year, the wildcard would be POSEY. I thought it was strange when we signed him to be a 4-3 OLB as he was most effective in a prior 3-4 defense. If we are considering the switch to the 3-4, that would be a pretty impressive group of 'backers although no pure pass rusher among them.

As for the d-line, ADAMS has a fit and some think DENNEY, probably so. The one big variable is SCHOBEL. He is solid and signed and is a 4-3 DE. He would have to be moved in a trade. Many teams would like to have the guy. Hustle guy that produces. not a pro bowler but second tier type. We would definitely pull a 2nd rounder that he cost us a few years back. The rest of the d-line in my opinion are scrubs besides ANDERSON sticking around. The draft could bring NGATA to anchor the NG position for years. EDWARDS back and if the shoulder is healthy could man one DE position. Rotation of NGATA,ADAMS,ANDERSON at the NG and DENNEY,EDWARDS starting at DE. Depth would need to be added via draft/free agency.

Not that hard a move in my opinion. Not advocating it either, just observing this talk lately. With two seconds we would and should address the OL positions and maybe sign LeCharles Bentley-C or Hutchinson-G.

Late

Schobel cold be moved to OLB, he is a better athlete than Posey, and works harder than any other player on the team. He would do fine, the 3-4 defense isn't an easy move, one must make an investment in personal. that said I think we shouldn't move into a 3-4 unless we somehow land Mario Williams. I also think the LE position would have to be played by Edwards, he is athletic enough. I think we'll rebound next year with a 4-3 and 3-4 mix.