Billick to remain as Ravens coach

millbank

Brian Billick will remain the Ravens' head coach for the 2006 season, owner Steve Bisciotti announced at a team meeting Wednesday.

"We have an ongoing and extensive process to find ways to win," Bisciotti said in a statement released by the team. "This included a thorough evaluation of Brian Billick. Collectively, we concluded that continuing with Brian as head coach gives us the best opportunity to win."

- on to the next coach to speculate about..... Billick is not going anywhere....

Billick

Brian Billick will remain the Ravens' head coach for the 2006 season, owner Steve Bisciotti announced at a team meeting Wednesday.

"We have an ongoing and extensive process to find ways to win," Bisciotti said in a statement released by the team. "This included a thorough evaluation of Brian Billick. Collectively, we concluded that continuing with Brian as head coach gives us the best opportunity to win."

- on to the next coach to speculate about..... Billick is not going anywhere....

Billick

543990[/snapback]

As well he should stay there he's a very good coach, and has done a good job there!

Exactly. The guy's a dick, but he's won and coached well while his team dealth with salary cap hell. That team is not loaded with talent, but they are usually pretty damn good.

544011[/snapback]

I think they are loaded with talent........finally they showed it the last two games opening up the playbook instead of relying on the defense to win games.......

Five former #1 or #2 picks start on offense for Baltimore, seven on defense (not counting Ray Lewis). Counting Losman and Mike Williams along with Moulds/Evans/McGahee gives us five on offense, six on defense (when Sam Adams starts, and not counting TKO).

We lost TKO in the third game of the season. They lost Lewis in the sixth game of the season.

We have a first-round pick at QB who, after starting 8 games in his second season, has a lifetime QB rating of 63.5.

They have a first-round pick at QB who, after starting 33 games in 3 seasons, has a lifetime QB rating of 70.6.

They're 6-9, we're 5-10.

And Billick is a genius, and Mularkey (according to many here) is an idiot.

Interesting.

Five former #1 or #2 picks start on offense for Baltimore, seven on defense (not counting Ray Lewis). Counting Losman and Mike Williams along with Moulds/Evans/McGahee gives us five on offense, six on defense (when Sam Adams starts, and not counting TKO).

We lost TKO in the third game of the season. They lost Lewis in the sixth game of the season.

To be clear, those are first and second round picks, not #1 and #2 picks--I know that's what you meant, but my eyes bugged out when I saw that. And depending on the GM's ability to measure talent, that people were drafted in the first round is not necessarily the best measure of talent. See Eric Flowers.

We have a first-round pick at QB who, after starting 8 games in his second season, has a lifetime QB rating of 63.5.

They have a first-round pick at QB who, after starting 33 games in 3 seasons, has a lifetime QB rating of 70.6.

That's coaching for you. We also have a QB with a 92 rating, an almost 70% completion rate, and a winning record, but he hasn't been the starter most of the season. The Bills might not be a playoff team with Holcomb as starter, but they'd probably be better than 5-9.

And Billick is a genius, and Mularkey (according to many here) is an idiot.

Billick has been to the playoffs 3 times since 2000 and won a Superbowl in that time. Seems like that evaluation is fair.

To be clear, those are first and second round picks, not #1 and #2 picks--I know that's what you meant, but my eyes bugged out when I saw that. And depending on the GM's ability to measure talent, that people were drafted in the first round is not necessarily the best measure of talent. See Eric Flowers.

But is that on Mularkey or Donahoe (or the late JButler, in the case of Flowers)? Or, rather, should we give the lion's share of the credit to Billick or Ozzie?

That's coaching for you. We also have a QB with a 92 rating, an almost 70% completion rate, and a winning record, but he hasn't been the starter most of the season. The Bills might not be a playoff team with Holcomb as starter, but they'd probably be better than 5-9.

I'm assuming Billick has always had the final say on which QB he was going to start. Not sure I'd go that far with regards to MM/Losman...

Billick has been to the playoffs 3 times since 2000 and won a Superbowl in that time. Seems like that evaluation is fair.

544561[/snapback]

Billick inherited Jonathan Ogden. Mularkey inherited Mike Williams. Now that's not fair. :blink:

Okay, I'll admit I dug up those various factoids just so I could play devil's advocate. To be serious for a second, though, a significant part of that Super Bowl-winning defense was already in place before Billick's arrival in Ballamore.

But is that on Mularkey or Donahoe (or the late JButler, in the case of Flowers)? Or, rather, should we give the lion's share of the credit to Billick or Ozzie?

I'm assuming Billick has always had the final say on which QB he was going to start. Not sure I'd go that far with regards to MM/Losman...

Billick inherited Jonathan Ogden. Mularkey inherited Mike Williams. Now that's not fair. :blink:

Okay, I'll admit I dug up those various factoids just so I could play devil's advocate. To be serious for a second, though, a significant part of that Super Bowl-winning defense was already in place before Billick's arrival in Ballamore.

544573[/snapback]

'sokay. I was being Devil's Advocate too, since I would be surprised if the Bills can lure a proven coach better than Mularkey next year. Last year, we were all singing the praises of Mularkey for getting the team in the playoff race and stressed out early this year when Clements was a head coaching candidate at ND. Frankly, unless some proven stud comes along and wants to coach the Bills (unlikely), I can live with MM for another season. His play-calling is questionable at times, but he's got a terrible O-line, an RB of questionable heart, and a QB controversy. He handled the Moulds' situation well--benched a guy who refused to play and didn't talk to the media about it. He handled the Sam Adams sitaution well--benched a guy who refused to play his position correctly and didn't talk to the media about it. He's not a total dud. He's just an inexperienced coach with a mediocre team.

Concidering the appearent difficulty in getting a decent NFL head coach, I'm not surprised at the signing.

Perhaps there is method to BAL having so-so wideouts. Think of the money saved on kleenex, crying towels, and patching up ugly press when you don't have any "star" Waahhh! Receivers on the team. :blink:

Billick knows how to win. He understands how the game works. He won a super bowl as a head coach so he has the experience and knowledge. If Kyle Boller can carry his recent efficient play over to next year, the Ravens will be a good team again.