What happened to freedom of speech?

Stiffler

When you love something, like a country or a team, and you perceive a problem with it, the solution is not to leave the nation (or never attend a game again); nor is it to accept the problem and be quiet.  You stay loyal, and try to fix it.

537343[/snapback]

Screw loyalty. Most of us are not loyal. We are afflicted. The damned thing given to me by my family who were infected and passed along. Loyalty is a matter of volition.

We are dying here!!!! And we have a right to issue non-negotiable demands.

(even if they still have the right to toss us out).

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah?  Try saying a certain four letter word on an airliner sometime.... :D

537411[/snapback]

I have absolutely no idea what you mean by that. Maybe you should read CTM's post and then re-read my response to get the context.

1) The legal issue here is dead.  Please stop posting about it.  It is this:

Being a leased property, the Bills brass has private-owner rights.  In essence, Ralph Wilson Stadium is their house, with their rules.  Just like in my mom's house, I can't say whatever I want.  I was wrong, and am now happily informed of this.

If only it were. Some people still insist the First Amendment applies.

2) The real issue, however, is whether ownership should be taking away these signs.  My stance and many others are saying it is petty and small to do so, revealing a deeper insecurity.  Signs, shouting, booing, etc. is part of the game.

Whether ownership "should" or not...it's petty and stupid regardless.

Oh, and a quick aside for the "If you don't like it, don't come" and "Well, they can do whatever they want, stop whining" posters: 

When you love something, like a country or a team, and you perceive a problem with it, the solution is not to leave the nation (or never attend a game again); nor is it to accept the problem and be quiet.  You stay loyal, and try to fix it.

537343[/snapback]

And if you don't like the fact that they take your "Donahoe Sucks" sign at the game, don't go. Or go, but leave the sign at home. Or go with the sign, and get it taken away. Those are the conditions of the ticket sale that you accept when you shell out your money (namely: you accept the condition that management is entitled to act petty and stupid if they so choose).

I started this, please let me be the one to finish it:

537343[/snapback]

1st ammendment rights are not as cut and dry as some think. It is a pretty complicated and wide ranging issue and is certainly about more that "laws" as I found out here:

http://www.aclu.org/freespeech/relatedinfo...s_releases.html

Love 'em or hate 'em, the ACLU is at the vanguard. There are some pretty interesting cases cited.

If you don't like it, go to Detroit. According to Highlights "Fire Millen" signs are welcome there.

Did anyone think of taking a simple "Go Bills" sign into the stadium, and putting a big marker in your pocket. Imagine security trying to stop about 6000 people with that idea. Too bad the home season is over.

Sorry, if these thoughts were already posted. I cared enough to chime in, but not enough to read a long a$$ thread about it.

If you don't like it, go to Detroit.  According to Highlights "Fire Millen" signs are welcome there. 

Did anyone think of taking a simple "Go Bills" sign into the stadium, and putting a big marker in your pocket.  Imagine security trying to stop about 6000 people with that idea.  Too bad the home season is over.

Sorry, if these thoughts were already posted.  I cared enough to chime in, but not enough to read a long a$$ thread about it.

537609[/snapback]

Or write one letter per poster, get three or four people to carry them in separately, then pass them out to the whole row.

At the very least, you get to see the front office sink to unheard-of depths of pettiness as security tries to confiscate individual letters... :D

Or write one letter per poster, get three or four people to carry them in separately, then pass them out to the whole row. 

At the very least, you get to see the front office sink to unheard-of depths of pettiness as security tries to confiscate individual letters...  :blush:

537619[/snapback]

Start with "Let's Get Fired Up", and you have ample letters to make the statement.

2) The real issue, however, is whether ownership should be taking away these signs.  My stance and many others are saying it is petty and small to do so, revealing a deeper insecurity.  Signs, shouting, booing, etc. is part of the game.

The very man you're protesting--Tom Donahoe--is the team president, and the guy who's ultimately responsible for setting the rules. Since you don't like the way he's doing the other parts of his job, it's no surprise that you should take issue with this part also.

Personally, I'd like to see TD fired myself.

sigh, once again......

Banners and Signs

Banners and signs are generally permitted, but any such item deemed by management to be dangerous, inappropriate, or which obstructs the view for other guests will be removed. Banners and signs must be event-related, in good taste and not commercial. Flags or banners that are commercial, offensive in nature, or attached to poles are prohibited. Banners or signs may not promote or advertise organizations or companies not affiliated with the Buffalo Bills and may not be placed over any official signage.

from Ralph Wilson Stadium Policies

535924[/snapback]

No where in that policy does it exclude giving an opinion on Bills Management, unless in an offensive manner.

IE "Donahoue sucks AZZ" may be construed as offensive and not allowed.

"Fire Donahoe" is neither offensive, innappropriate, dangerous, or commercial. Neither does it advertise or promote agencies not affiliated with the Buffalo Bills. I would argue that "Fire Donahoe" violates neither the letter of the Policy, or the intent. The Fact that Non-offensive signs are not allowed is just another example of Corporate greed and power trying to stifle the voices of the People!

Rise up fellow Bills Fans! Let your voices be heard! Write to the Team. Write to the Owner. Call talk Radio. Write letters to the editor. Picket the Stadium. Have a demonstration. Call an Assembly to voice your displeasure. Alert the Media. These are your RIGHTS as given under the Constitution. :lol:

Just don't bring that Donahoe Sucks sign to the stadium.... ;)

Sarcasm off now....

No where in that policy does it exclude giving an opinion on Bills Management, unless in an offensive manner.

IE "Donahoue sucks AZZ" may be construed as offensive and not allowed.

"Fire Donahoe" is neither offensive, innappropriate, dangerous, or commercial. Neither does it advertise or promote agencies not affiliated with the Buffalo Bills.  I would argue that "Fire Donahoe" violates neither the letter of the Policy, or the intent. The Fact that Non-offensive signs are not allowed is just another example of Corporate greed and power trying to stifle the voices of the People!

Rise up fellow Bills Fans! Let your voices be heard! Write to the Team. Write to the Owner. Call talk Radio. Write letters to the editor. Picket the Stadium. Have a demonstration. Call an Assembly to voice your displeasure. Alert the Media. These are your RIGHTS as given under the Constitution.  :lol:

Just don't bring that Donahoe Sucks sign to the stadium.... ;)

Sarcasm off now....

538351[/snapback]

Actually, if management decides that "Fire Donahoe" is inappropriate, then it's covered under "deemed by management to be...inappropriate".

That's the real key here: it's not what IS inappropriate, it's what management DECIDES is inappropriate. Their opinion is the only one that counts.

And no, it's not right...but it is what ticket buyers agree to when they purchase their ticket.