My 2006 Cap Page is available

Just to reiterate, here is the list of Bills' FA's next year, obtained from CP:

UFA

CB Nate Clements OL Trey Teague WR Josh Reed DT Ron Edwards DL Ryan Denney DT Justin Bannan LS Mike Schneck OL Greg Jerman CB Kevin Thomas QB Shane Matthews

RFA

LB Angelo Crowell (min. tender -> 3rd rd) LB Mario Haggan (min. tender -> 7th rd) LB Josh Stamer (min. tender -> none) WR Sam Aiken (min. tender -> 4th rd) OL Lawrence Smith (min. tender -> none)

EFA

CB Jabari Greer OT/TE Jason Peters RB Shaud Williams

Only Schneck is a must-resign IMHO. They could also toss a bone to Reed, Edwards, Denney, Bannan, and Thomas if he's healthy, but for not much more than the minimum. I see the RFA's and EFA's being kept, except for maybe Aiken and Smith.

UFA

CB Nate Clements OL Trey Teague WR Josh Reed DT Ron Edwards DL Ryan Denney DT Justin Bannan LS Mike Schneck OL Greg Jerman CB Kevin Thomas QB Shane Matthews

536282[/snapback]

OK. Let's focus on the UFAs for a moment. This is some interesting discussion. I am going to safely assume that Kevin Thomas gets resigned (based on some info I got in person) and that Clements will leave by some means, although possibly not as a true UFA.

Bannan will be re-signed, he's versatile and a good ST body and backup DT. Schneck will be brought back too assuming we have Bobby April still and MM is in place. Josh Reed has helped himself with year (if that has been possible at all in such a disaster) and will be back for another 3 years I imagine.

Jerman is a gonner. If you can't crack our OL roster you really are sh--.

OK now my walks - Teague. I would be flat out astounded if we do anything to try and keep TT. As a UFA we might even earn more thru letting him walk and getting low-round 2007 draft pick compensation. He will not be a Tackle in Buffalo, and you have to assume that the poor OL play this year will be his downfall.

Ron Edwards - it may be too much of a reach to let him go as a UFA and get rid of Sam Adams as a cap saver. His injury his what put the nail in the coffin for me. We'll have Tim Anderson, Sape, Bannan on the books - and we'll want to look up a DT in the Draft and one in FA. There is your 5.

Ryan Denney - I suspect him as a gonner, but not surprised to see him tendered for a 2 year contracr or similar. I don't think with all the other problems to sort we want to be in the market for DEs too. I would hang on to Schobel, Kelsay and Denney as our DEs for another year.

Shane Matthews - just got too old. I think Holcomb may stay in the mix and we'll look at a 7th Round or similar QB.

I did some analysis. I might be mad, and my analysis may be mental, but I broke them down into 3 categories...

The guys it hurts the financial situation more than it helps to cut:

Bennie Anderson (marginal)

Lee Evans

Kevin Everett

Kelly Holcomb

JP Losman

Willis McGahee

Terrance McGee

Roscoe Parrish

Duke Preston (marginal)

Aaron Schobel

Takeo Spikes

Troy Vincent

Can cut - nor financial repercussions:

Kellen Brantley

Joe Burns

Liam Ezekiel

Jason Jefferson

Ryan Neufeld

Lauvale Sape

Daimon Shelton

Jonathan Smith

Ben Sobieski

LaDarris Vann

George Wilson

Coy Wire

There is a hit, but can be cut:

Sam Adams

Tim Anderson

Rashad Baker

Mark Campbell

Tim Euhus

London Fletcher

Mike Gandy

Lionel Gates

Justin Geisinger

Chris Kelsay

Eric King

Jim Leonhard

Ryan Lindell

Lawyer Milloy

Brian Moorman

Eric Moulds

Jeff Posey

Chris Villarrial

Mike Williams (marginal)

Clumpy, first thanks forthe great work, your salary cap page and discussions are one the great add values to finding my way to it through TBD.

Second, what specifically are the restrictions on hw much a contract can be reduced under theCBA? Many have talked about keeping MW at a contract level more appropriate to his level of contribution.

My assumption is that this will not happen by fact because some team will want to take a flyer on a still young formerly well-regarded OL player no matter if his play sucks now and will pay him well beyond his output on the field.

Second, by rule under the CBA, my understanding is that player contracts cannot be cut by some number (25% or so) and that MW's play does not even merit 75% of what he is owed under contract for 2006.

I think turning his remaining bonus into dead space as his contract accelerates is regrettable but likely has to be done.

Is this recitation of the rules correct?

I'm getting with the program.

Or, since the Bills have gone against just about everything logical this year, I am trying on a new logic to see if they'll go against it. :blush:

537960[/snapback]

Ahhh - the old reverse psychology trick. Spread the word. We want to sign Chad Pennington if the Jets cut him.