Fox.com story on HC jobs

DevilsAlum

7. Buffalo

Beginning to get a reputation as a place a coach can't win. Having team president around Tom Donahoe dramatically drops the attractiveness of this opening. Both Gregg Williams and Mike Mularkey are actually good coaches but haven't been able to thrive under Donahoe. This is a team with personality problems and a young quarterback who some teams like while others view as a wasted pick.

You're only as good as the players the GM gives you. Everyone here will agree that the two weakest positions on this team are the OL & DL which for some weird reason has been ignored since Marv left. Until we get rid of TD any coach brought in will fail.

I don't know who wrote this but they're way off base.  Mularkey and Williams might have been good coordinators but they aren't good head coaches.  Maybe if this person would have done their homework and viewed their game day decisions he wouldn't be saying this.

533677[/snapback]

The national media sucks. Here's another example of a guy who did zero research or homework before he submited his article, relying on second-hand "rumors" and unsubstantiated facts. You know what, NE was considered a nightmare organization not too long ago as well. How'd that turn out? Lazy media.

I wouldn't be surprised if something this dumb showed up in a Bill Simmons column, too. That guy is as lazy as they get.

I don't know who wrote this but they're way off base.  Mularkey and Williams might have been good coordinators but they aren't good head coaches.  Maybe if this person would have done their homework and viewed their game day decisions he wouldn't be saying this.

533677[/snapback]

So, how does any team know if a coordinator may be a good HC unless they are given the chance? Picking a HC is like taking a QB in the first round. Chance are more likely that they will not be productive.

It is easy to have 20-20 hindsight and to say the team messed up by passing over Lewis, Fox, or Tice. However, a team is just as likely to take a HC with experience and have them flop as well.

The national media sucks. Here's another example of a guy who did zero research or homework before he submited his article, relying on second-hand "rumors" and unsubstantiated facts.  You know what, NE was considered a nightmare organization not too long ago as well.  How'd that turn out?  Lazy media. 

I wouldn't be surprised if something this dumb showed up in a Bill Simmons column, too.  That guy is as lazy as they get.

533828[/snapback]

It is from Fox, the same media conglomo who airs a guy who thinks that Iraq might have been behind the Okla. City bombing. Not to make it PPP but, jesus. My point is, FOX will say anything to turn heads. Like most media outlets, but they push the envelope and set the trends.

His conclusion about Donahoe is correct, but just because Donahoe was bad doesn't mean Mularkey or Williams were good. We all spent years watching Williams and Mularkey, and I don't think many of us would actually say they were good head coaches. I thought Wade Phillips was a good (not great) head coach, which I hope would indicate that I am somewhat generous, and even I don't think for one minute that either Mularkey or Williams were good head coaches. Williams seemed to be trying on different coaching styles and theories all the time he was here, hired badly, and tried to make a pretty good team at one thing do things that it was never designed to do. Mularkey seems in a fog on game day, and never seems to react to whatever the other team shows him.

Now..that being said, I think that Williams and Mularkey may eventually become good head coaches, assuming they work on the mistakes they made here in Buffalo, and get another chance. I'm kind of pulling for Wade Phillips to get the job and succeed in Houston.