2005 offseason

1. Drew Bledsoe gone. No more conditional returns. No contract restructuring. Just gone. If you can find any reason to refute this statement, then consider yourself the Ultimate Drew Apologist.

2. Cut Trey Teague. Only the most talented interior linemen are able to play well at such low weights as his. If he's not cut, at least move him to a backup role.

3. Use all this freed up money to sign a free agent C and a RT worthy of a starting role, i.e. don't promote Ross Tucker and Marcus Price.

4. Move Mike "Big Vagina" Williams to left guard, as Coach McNally once suggested. He should be more effective going against the giant DT's instead of the light but quick DE's. Hey it's the only way to salvage our Patulski-esque #4 overall pick. Yes he will temporarily be one of the most grossly overpaid guards in the NFL, but when his '05 contract is up I guarantee his new contract will be quite fair...

5. We NEED to resign Jonas Jennings, as well. He's our only good offensive lineman at the moment.

6. Make Lee Evans the #2 receiver. He actually gets open a lot, but unfortunately Duh Bleedslow can no longer get it to him. Josh Reed is an outstanding #3 WR, but a craptacular #2.

7. Move Willis to starting FB and keep Henry at HB. Cut Daimon Shelton - he sucks, and the traditional FB role is a fossil in today's NFL. By next September Willis should be 100%, and I like the strategic possibilities with having both guys on the field at the same time. Plus, one can spot the other in 1-back formations, giving our offense an excellent change-of-pace attack while the other gets a breather. The injury argument with keeping both, of course, still stands.

8. Resign Pat Williams, unless he asks for too much or unless Ron Edwards between now and December shows us something. Phat Pat is still playing at a high level right now. Plus watching Ted Washington play today, you can see how being over 30 isn't necessarily a death sentence for a DT.

9. Move Vincent to FS and McGee to starting CB. Our defense is still not producing enough turnovers, and Izell Reese/Pierson Prioleau are clearly not capable of doing so.

10. Focus primarily on special teams for the 2005 draft. I was torn between crying and punching in my TV when I saw Angelo Crowell and later Mario Haggan negating 2 outstanding returns...

Many of your suggestions have to do with fixing what has been neglected, that being the offensive line. The one good thing about Shelton is he picked up some defenders today who otherwise would have wacked Bledsoe.

Give McGahee and Evans more action. They are both burners.

Good points. Just a couple of comments.

I'm not saying that Teague is the best center in the league, but don't buy the myth that Teague is somehow an undersized center. Do the research...compare him to other centers. You will find that he is more than adequate at the position. If Teague is undersized, then over 90% of C are undersized.

I have no problems with your other O-line adjustments.

I disagree with your last point. Focus on special teams for the 2005 draft? I can't see the reasoning. ST is a secondary postion. With the exception of the best KR or PR in the modern game, I don't know of any team that has focused on ST in the draft. If anyting, a team looks to draft a position and if the player happens to be scouted as strong in ST that is a bonus. You pointed out several weaknesses in the Bills starting lineup. Why not focus on those positions?

THE 2005 SELECTIONS FOR OFFENSIVE LINE HELP. DREW STAYS

37711[/snapback]

njsue, you are my first nominee for TBD's Ultimate Drew Apologist :D !

I ask you, is it not probable that both the offensive line AND Drew are the problem? During Drew's last two years in New England, his line was blamed for most of his continued mistakes. And yet as soon as Tom Brady started behind center for this exact same line, all of a sudden the Patriots were Super Bowl winners.

This is not to say that someone like JP can become a superhero with our current line, but Drew is definitely magnifying their deficiencies with his physical immobility, his pathetic pocket awareness, his slow decision-making abilities, his failure to survey the entire field, his frequent lapses in throwing mechanics that are inconceivable for a 10+ year veteran, and - most importantly - his complete lack of confidence in himself anymore (which he admitted to over the offseason).

Don't depend too much on scrambling ability. Michael Vick scrambles all over the place and it is fun to watch but he is going to get wacked again. Scrambling is a nice complement to a passing game but only a short term alternative to passing first and scrambling second. I am eager to see what JP can do. Bledsoe is not why the Bills are 0 - 2. Bledsoe has made his mistakes especially against the Raiders but he did get the Bills in range for what should have been 10 more points than their final total.