Chargers are better at this time

marck

I am a Bills fan living in San Diego who favors the Chargers as his 2nd favorite team. The beating the Bills took yesterday was not unexpected. In fact it was consistent where each team is in their stages of development.

For those who feel that the Bills are years away from contention let me simply remind them that in 2003, San Diego was 4-12 and had the 1st pick in the 2004 draft. The 2004 Charger team had 5 new starters on the offensive line with castoffs such as Mike Goff, Leander Jordan, rookies such as Nick Hardwick and Shane Olivea along with the trade for Roman Oben. The defense had only Jamal Willimas and Donnie Edwards as quality players. They could not stop the run, had weak pass defense and on offense they had given away their only receiving threat in David Boston and had drafted and traded for Phillip Rivers to replace the bust that was Drew Brees. Antonio Gates was an unheard of ex-basketball player who seemed to have some untapped potential as a football player and the only player of note on the entire roster was Ladanian Tomlinson.

From that train wreck came 12-4 in 2004, and in 2005 a team that will finish at least 11-5, who now has rebuilt through smart work in free agencey and the draft and will have their #1 pick and a pick in the top 5 when they trade away Phillip Rivers.

If you take the Bills present roster, you have a potential top RB in McGahee, a developing QB in Losman, a couple of excellent young receivers and an older pro in Eric Moulds, two developing tight ends, good solid defensive ends, a fairly decent secondary, solid linebacking and an excellent special teams. Now it seens to me that the Bills have more pieces in place then did San Diego and with building by bringing in functional but no big name free agents and using the draft, Buffalo can take that big leap forward as the Chargers have.

What we all saw yesterday was what the Bills can be in 2006 and beyond, so as bad as that loss was, look at it as a portend of what the Bills may be in the VERY NEAR future.

Like you said ........ the chargers stunk in 2003, but got better. The problem is the Bills also stunk in 2003 (and even well before that), and we are not only NOT getting better we seem to be getting worse.

IMHO .... the average (sensible) Bills fan wouldn't mind a year or two or three of piss poor play as long as the team is recovering from "cap hell", rebuilding, changing directions, etc ....... what wears on us is a decade of piss poor play with no end in sight.

Between the time the Bills were viable playoff contenders and now there have been quite a number of teams that have fallen from grace AND rebuilt themselves ...... some are even going around that merry-go-round for the second time, but we are still spinning our wheels.

I am a Bills fan living in San Diego who favors the Chargers as his 2nd favorite team.

508905[/snapback]

Cannot compute "2nd favorite team". I'll fix it for you.

I am a Bills fan living in San Diego who hates the Chargers and the other 30 NFL teams. 

508905[/snapback]