Hard Wood Flooring

plenzmd1

Allright, long story. Need to get some work done on my floors. Guy comes in and said since we use Murphys Oil Soap when we clean it, can't just do the simple procedure, but need to re sand the floor. Course, this costs double what the screen and buff would cost.

Any confirm if Murphs is bad for the hardwood floors

Allright, long story. Need to get some work done on my floors. Guy comes in and said since we use Murphys Oil Soap when we clean it, can't just do the simple procedure, but need to re sand the floor. Course, this costs double what the screen and buff would cost.

506040[/snapback]

I believe murphy's has wax in it, need's to sanded to restain.. Explain what the procedure is, will help with giving advice...

506040[/snapback]

Murphy and Johnsons paste wax is very hard on the floors and is tuff to strip them off man.

Is there a sealer on the market for hardwoods? Kind of like a clear PRC?

Its not so much bad for the hardwood as it is bad for the clear coat. When cleaning hardwood floors you're not cleaning the wood but rather the polyurethane. Any oil based cleaners are bad for the polyurethane coating. Believe it or not the best thing to use on hardwood floors is Windex.

I believe murphy's has wax in it, need's to sanded to restain.. Explain what the procedure is, will help with giving advice...

506047[/snapback]

They called the cheaper alternative a screen and recoat. Saif something about whatever is in the Murphys, will not let the recoat adhear to the floor, hence the total resanding.

Criminy, wish I knew this before

Murphy's = worst stuff you can use!

If you want an easy to use product that cleans well and goes on nicely, try Bona X. The stuff is specially made for hard wood. Be sure to get the mop that is made for it. Most any Ace or TrueServe store will have it.

Murphy's = worst stuff you can use!

If you want an easy to use product that cleans well and goes on nicely, try Bona X. The stuff is specially made for hard wood. Be sure to get the mop that is made for it. Most any Ace or TrueServe store will have it.

506059[/snapback]

Thats what they recommended. How stupid am I? Thought Murphys said right on there for use on hardwood floors.

Thats what they recommended. How stupid am I? Thought Murphys said right on there for use on hardwood floors.

506062[/snapback]

I pretty sure it does say it. I used to use it all the time until I was informed that it was actually bad for them.

They called the cheaper alternative a screen and recoat. Saif something about whatever is in the Murphys, will not let the recoat adhear to the floor, hence the total resanding.

Criminy, wish I knew this before

506058[/snapback]

Sorry to hear that, yes the new polycoat will not take clearly, milky looking finish and adhearing...Most woodfloor finishes nowadays are poly,they use to be wax, thats why murphy's is around....Listen,. ask the sanders about poly polishers for future use... they will offer proper advise and save money, instead of just homedepot where you might be sold another wax based product...Oh yeah don't forget to put good doormats at all outside doors, salt,oil, driveway grime terrible on floors... Homedepot or floor retailer should have a mat called ''waterhog'' 3 x 5 $ 40.00 excellent for main entrance , they do come smaller...

Sorry to hear that,  yes the new polycoat will not take clearly, milky looking finish and adhearing...Most woodfloor finishes nowadays are poly,they use to be wax, thats why murphy's is around....Listen,. ask the sanders about poly polishers for future use... they will offer proper advise and save money, instead of just homedepot where you might be sold another wax based product...Oh yeah don't forget to put good doormats at all outside doors, salt,oil, driveway grime terrible on floors... Homedepot or floor retailer should have a mat called ''waterhog'' 3 x 5 $ 40.00 excellent for main entrance , they do come smaller...

506089[/snapback]

Thx for all the replys fellas, half the reason I wanted to post here would be so others who use the Murphys will know.

506040[/snapback]

Did the Murphy thing a few times...Not good. Also the floor suffered some water damage (washing mahine overflow)...

My remedy was to go to a local rental place and rent a drum sander specifically made for sanding hardwood floors. It was great since it allowed you to stand while using it. I used an ordinary belt sander and a pad sander to get into the tight spots.

After sanding I laid down a couple of coats of polyeurathane. Took the better part of a weekend but the floor looks great.

Best of luck....