Football rule question

Sorry - I'm in the "rule mood" today. Does the opponent gain any yards when the offense fails to gain a 1st down when going for it on 4th? I always thought the offense got the ball back right back at the line of scrimmage. Yet NFL.com said

"1-10-BUF 46 (3:32) One-yard difference on change of possession. W.McGahee right tackle to 50 for 4 yards (S.Knight, K.Bell)."

Can anyone explain?

Sorry - I'm in the "rule mood" today. Does the opponent gain any yards when the offense fails to gain a 1st down when going for it on 4th? I always thought the offense got the ball back right back at the line of scrimmage. Yet NFL.com said

"1-10-BUF 46 (3:32) One-yard difference on change of possession. W.McGahee right tackle to 50 for 4 yards (S.Knight, K.Bell)."

Can anyone explain?

501508[/snapback]

could it be that the ball was between the yard markers? it would be at the 46 going one way but the 47 going the other? the statement was probably just NFL.com adjusting their stats.

Can anyone explain?

501508[/snapback]

The length of the ball accounts for the difference in field position on change in position. The back end of the ball on fourth down is the front end of the ball on first down.

On a turn over on downs, you get the ball where it was downed on the play.  However, on a field goal attempt, if they miss, you get the ball at the spot where it was kicked.

501569[/snapback]

Supposedly, the general rule (not official in any way) is the ball is spotted where the live ball last touched the ground. So on a missed FG, the ball is spotted down. But on Punts that go wrong, they do not get the ball where the punter stood cause the ball didnt touch the ground.