Offensive line

nuklz2594

I have been reading from various pollsters here that our o-line sucks. I agree, but many are suggesting we need a bigger line. I can guarantee that our o-line is one of the heaviest in the league. When we had our Super Bowl runs we did not have the biggest line in the league. Howard Ballard was the biggest. We had linemen with good technique. It all starts with the center position. Kent Hull was the glue of the line. It is no accident that when he retired our offense began to suffer. Our line is so big that they should be able to collectively fall forward and the rb should be able to gain positive yardage. I would like to see Preston at center. We drafted him as a center, why not use him there. The season is a wash. The best o-line year in and year out belongs to the Denver Broncos. They have the smallest line in the league yet they always have 1000 yard rushers. Yes, they chop block but it is legal. Why can't we get some of our former linemen like Hull or Richter to come in and help out? Could it hurt to ask?

The game is won in the trenches. It is not complicated. It is not rocket surgery. Get young o-linemen from the draft and teach good technique. I have always liked the Boston College o-linemen. Every year the school has their linemen drafted and they do well. Just ask the Pats. I am tired of us drafting the biggest behemoth or a someone with versatilitiy. We need linemen who are intelligent and coachable.

Your thoughts?

Your thoughts?

we need an effective oline. if it averages 170lbs. per man, who cares as long as they move the pile and protect the QB.

The smartest move that Teflon Tom can make at this point is to give carte blanche to McNally. What I mean by that is for Tom to tell the scouts what he wants in an olineman, then come draft day, let McNally make the picks of the o linemen.

we need an effective oline.  if it averages 170lbs. per man, who cares as long as they move the pile and protect the QB.

The smartest move that Teflon Tom can make at this point is to give carte blanche to McNally.  What I mean by that is for Tom to tell the scouts what he wants in an olineman, then come draft day, let McNally make the picks of the o linemen.

500883[/snapback]

I disagree, but only to a certain extent. They should give full responsibility to McNally. It apperas that these scounts and personnal department can ONLY find "skill position" players. That is not a bad thing for WRs, RBs, CB, and LBs. BUT when it comes to the lines, these "scouts" and personnal people are clueless, OR it looks that way. Instead of TD/Modrak telling the scouts what characteristics they wanted scouted, let McNally direct them.

McNally is a coach, not a scout, BUT he needs to give these guys a clue. It looks like McNally had a whole lot more to say this past draft: Preston and Geisinger are two really smart PLAYERS that have the actual WANT to play, that includes heart and will to prepare and condition.

This past draft looks like the start for an o-line, but it is only the start. They have to select more this draft, and not just one PLAYER, but more like two or three for the o-line itself.

BUT, they also have concerns about the d-line. I do think that Krumrie has had a lot more say in the last few drafts, but he needs more guys.

Both these coaches realize size is NOT the most important attribute when selecting linemen. There are a lot of other characteristics needed as well: tenacity, athleticism, teammanship, character, heart, will to prepare.

It is identifying these characteristics and personnal that fit them where the Bills have lacked for ..... well a decade.

Rd Sel# Player Pos. School

2 46 Aaron Schobel DE Texas Christian

3 76 Ron Edwards DT Texas A&M

3 95 Jonas Jennings T Georgia

5 144 Marques Sullivan T Illinois

7 238 Tyrone Robertson DT Hinds CC

1 4 Mike Williams T Texas

2 61 Ryan Denney DE Brigham Young

5 139 Justin Bannan DT Colorado

7 215 Mike Pucillo G Auburn

2 48 Chris Kelsay DE Nebraska

5 151 Ben Sobieski G Iowa

6 187 Lauvale Sape DT Utah

3 74 Tim Anderson DT Ohio State

7 207 Dylan McFarland T Montana

4 122 OL Duke Preston Illinois

6 197 OL Justin Geisinger Vanderbilt

It isn't like TD has ignored the lines, he just has picked well.

The picks in red are either no longer here, on IR, should be on IR, OR on the Practice Squad.