why is everyone surprised?

Holcomb is a back up. He's been a backup his entire career. He was brought here to be a backup. If something happens to your starter then he is there to keep the ship afloat for a game or two. He is not a top notch qb - he is average at best.

Last night the announcers (when they were not blowing Teddy B) talked about how Holcomb was this calming presence in the huddle. How he has all this experience and doesnt lose a game for you. That might be true but he certainly doesnt win a game for you either.

JP needs to be in there against the Chiefs. We might lose 40-0 but we need to play him the last 8 games. If he goes 0-8 so be it. We will know wether or not he is improving each week by seeing it on the field. Who the hell knows if he is learning anything watching Holcomb beat the phins and lowly jets and getting ripped by Oakland then choking last night.

The problem is that in this division there is still a chance that the Bills can back into the playoffs. I don't think that is likely, but the possibility is keeping Losman on the bench. I thought Holcomb played a good game this week, but I think you're right in your assessment that he will never be a top notch NFL QB.