Like I said about the Greg Williams "D"

OR, building the Defense at the cost of the Offense.

Now, we are building the offense at the cost of the defense. 10 of 12 players drafted over the last two years were offense.

With this "front office" it just looks like the properties of a pendulum. Pay me now or pay me later. In this structure, one will loose out. In other words, there is no balance to build a WINNING culture on.

you have all the right players.

The 4-6 (and all it's different looks) works well if you have two big hogs in the middle of the line that can occupy those middle gaps, and get penetration. Then your corners also need to be lock-down calibre because they are going to get assigned a lot of one on one coverage.

Our corners have not locked down anyone when they have needed to (big third down passing play after passing play appears to be a given with this unit). And safety help is nonexistant because they have to be up on the line trying to help stop the run - which they can't do because Grey has them constantly blitzing up field which leaves them out of position to make the plays they need to make against the run.

Losing Pat, combined with playing some better teams, has really brought out the warts on this pig.

What I wouldn't give to have Wade or Dick Lebeau back coaching this D. There is talent here, but they are constantly caught out of position, terribly coached, and we wont even get into adjustments - this group folds like a house of cards in the second half of every game.

Aaron Schobel said something a couple of weeks ago that I think shows signs that the players do not really believe in Jerry's defensive scheme. He said that the defense needs to be made simpler. Just straight up playing their gaps without so many fancy blitzes and schemes (I'm paraphrasing of course).

I hate to say it, but either they have to find another Pat Williams to take up two gaps in the middle, or they need to find another defensive coach who can work with the guys we have.

I watched the replays. I watched our middle linebacker blitz up the field, only to take himself out of the play, and leave a hole for Jordan to run 14 yards through.

Enough said.

484112[/snapback]

Great post.