Why Big Ben was successful lasy year

BigAL

Did anyone else catch Big Ben's comments during the MNF game against San Diego? He said that the reason why he was successful last year was that on passing plays, the coaches gave him a choice of only throwing to one receiver. He would basically look off that receiver and then at the last second look towards him and throw it.

I wish MM and Tom Clements would have done something similar with JP. We have the receivers who can get open. If all JP has to worry about on a given play is getting it to one receiver, be it Moulds, Evans or Reed, I think he would have been more successful.

Did anyone else catch Big Ben's comments during the MNF game against San Diego?  He said that the reason why he was successful last year was that on passing plays, the coaches gave him a choice of only throwing to one receiver.  He would basically look off that receiver and then at the last second  look towards him and throw it.

I wish MM and Tom Clements would have done something similar with JP.  We have the receivers who can get open.  If all JP has to worry about on a given play is getting it to one receiver, be it Moulds, Evans or Reed, I think he would have been more successful.

476541[/snapback]

Notice he failed to mention while he was QB Pitt ran the ball 600 times and he threw the ball 300 times. 2 to 1 ratio.

:(

Notice he failed to mention while he was QB Pitt ran the ball 600 times and he threw the ball 300 times. 2 to 1 ratio.

:(

476552[/snapback]

I don't think he failed to mention it, I think he's just didn't know that. But you're right, running the ball on a 2 to 1 ratio can certainly help a rookie quarterback.

Right.  It had nothing to do with playing behind the best offensive line in football.

476592[/snapback]

3 All Pro Linemen: Marvel Smith, Alan Faneca, Jeff Hartings

1 All Pro RB: Jerome Bettis

1 All Pro WR: Hines Ward

This is similar to what Jim Kelly had in during the SB years. Add in an imaginative OC (Teddy Marchibroda), and Jimbo had the qualities of leadership, physical ability and toughness to get himself to the dais in Canton.

Although Big Ben has a way to go, hats off to the Steeler coaching staff for designing an offense that allowed him to succeed. If only Todd Collins had that instead of Dan Henning.