Running Game / Snowball Fight analogy

todd

I originally wrote this a few years ago about the Gilbride-led O. I think it still fits with the Clements-led O. History shouldn't repeat. But I guess it does.

The snowball fight:

If we're in a snowball fight and I keep throwing snowballs at your nuts, even if they are small and difficult to hit, you worry about it because although I hit your hip or your thigh most of the time, you know that at some point I'm gonna hit you in the nuts. You've gotta protect your nuts. It's essential because they are your nuts, for God's sake! And one hit in the nuts makes you really woozy and nauseous.

So now that I've distracted you away from my real target, which happens to be your face, I can take a shot at your face any time I want. And although it's still hard to hit your face, I know that in many cases your hands will be covering your nuts while I'm throwing at your face, and when I do hit you in the face with a snowball you'll get a nosebleed and run home crying.

See? Throwing snowballs at your nuts is the running game, and throwing snowballs at your face is the passing game. I want you to get a nosebleed and run home screaming, so the natural thing to do is to keep throwing snowballs at your nuts until it's easy to hit you in the face.

Clements has got to understand the concept of the snowball fight pretty damn quick, or I'm going to hit him in the nuts.

I originally wrote this a few years ago about the Gilbride-led O. I think it still fits with the Clements-led O. History shouldn't repeat. But I guess it does.

The snowball fight:

If we're in a snowball fight and I keep throwing snowballs at your nuts, even if they are small and difficult to hit, you worry about it because although I hit your hip or your thigh most of the time, you know that at some point I'm gonna hit you in the nuts. You've gotta protect your nuts. It's essential because they are your nuts, for God's sake! And one hit in the nuts makes you really woozy and nauseous.

So now that I've distracted you away from my real target, which happens to be your face, I can take a shot at your face any time I want. And although it's still hard to hit your face, I know that in many cases your hands will be covering your nuts while I'm throwing at your face, and when I do hit you in the face with a snowball you'll get a nosebleed and run home crying.

See? Throwing snowballs at your nuts is the running game, and throwing snowballs at your face is the passing game. I want you to get a nosebleed and run home screaming, so the natural thing to do is to keep throwing snowballs at your nuts until it's easy to hit you in the face.

Clements has got to understand the concept of the snowball fight pretty damn quick, or I'm going to hit him in the nuts.

463399[/snapback]

You're nuts :blink:

Good analogy - I don't understand how we finally have our first stud running back since Thurman and we don't ride him til the cows come home. Especially with a young QB and an o-line that is built to run block.

Maybe management is afraid that if McGahee is too succesful he'll hold out next year...

463399[/snapback]

Can I use that for a sig? Comic genius!