First play last week was supposed to

Rayzer32

This has probably already been posted, sorry if it has, but I am a little behind.

The Bills 1st play from scrimmage last week was supposed to be a bomb to Moulds to stretch the field. But, Bledsoe decided to change on the fly because it was taking too much time for Moulds to break away he said. "They were playing a cover 2 (big surprise since we have no other threats YET) and EM couldn't start his break soon enough and I did not want to take a negative play right off the bat". "I swung it out to TH and he turned into an 8 yd gain".

At least DB has options this year and he is looking at them. Last year with Dumb and Dumber coaching, he had 1 read and that was it, either throw it to the 1st read or take a sack.

So there is still some hope for DB. Thank god we have Wyche this year to help Clements and DB.

Hey Rayzer, thanks for the info. One thing though.... Only having one threat would be a reason NOT to play cover 2, not the other way around. Playing cover 2 means they didn't want to let the WR corps as a whole (both sides of the field) get deep on them.

Guest Guest_vegas55_*
:) That's right, generally a cover two would not be played if we had only one threat. And Gildride,s proplem was not one option, but multiple options carried out by multiple receivers

Hey Rayzer, thanks for the info. One thing though.... Only having one threat would be a reason NOT to play cover 2, not the other way around. Playing cover 2 means they didn't want to let the WR corps as a whole (both sides of the field) get deep on them.

33115[/snapback]

Please forgive me, I am not much of an X's and O's guy. I know enough about the offensive side and Dline and LBs, but the DB coverages always give me a hard time. I can tell you what nickel coverage is, but after that it gets cloudy.

Thanks for the info.

Please forgive me, I am not much of an X's and O's guy.  I know enough about the offensive side and Dline and LBs, but the DB coverages always give me a hard time.  I can tell you what nickel coverage is, but after that it gets cloudy.

Thanks for the info.

33132[/snapback]

No Prob. There's always time to learn more about it too :)

Willis and Travis in the same backfield for one play and it results in what? 13 yards... let's see some more of that.

33142[/snapback]

I thought they should have used that formation after the int when we had the ball at the 3 yd line. 3 straight running plays with TH and WM back there, we would have scored on one of them and put the game away.

Yup, look for the Raiders D to be running a lot of cover 2, especially since their OLB's are not very good in open space. Sooner or later the Bills recievers are going to have to learn to beat this type of coverage.

33139[/snapback]

WR's can't really beat a cover 2 defense. It's designed to give double coverage on the outside for the CB's.

The cover 2 is known as the "bend but don't break defense". It's designed to avoid the big plays up top, but gives plenty of space underneath, so a team needs to be patient and take what's given to them.

The cover 2 is very vulnerable to plays down the middle. The QB needs to look off the safety to make sure the middle is open, but he needs to make a very dangerous throw as well. Throw the ball short it's picked off by the LB'ers, throw it long and the safety will get it.

The thing about cover 2 is that teams generally can roll up big yards on them, but tend not to score many points. The biggest reason is that most offenses can't stay disciplined long enough, and make mistakes that lead to miss opportunities.

Although the Bills seem to have the short passing game to be successful against the Cover 2 (Unlike in 2002 with Killdrive trying to bang the offenses heads into the cover 2 wall by continuing to throw over the cover 2) the big question is will the Bills show the discipline required to cash in once they get the ball close, and as of now it's not been done, but Sunday could be a good time to start.. :)