Get off Losman's back!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you can say the same about the defense. JP played well enough to win the game led us to 16 points . yes JP did not play great . but he is not the one who gave up 200 plus yards on the ground .

456513[/snapback]

I'm with you on this one... JP didn't play well, but he did his part. He got the offense down the field to get some field goals and a touch down, he kept the team scoring. However, the defense also kept the team scoring, except that it was the OTHER team... :o

I think it's just easier to call out JP and blame him for all our troubles than to call out the whole defense. If our defense is the best in the NFL, they are sure doing a great job of hiding it.

I'm not sure where to pass blame, there is way to much of it to pass at the moment. 

But, I'll agree 100% with your assessment of JP.  So many on this board want to justify... Will the kid be good, time will tell... But, right now, this minute, he is B-A-D, BAD.  Rookie mistakes, maybe, but he's not even playing like a potential NFL quarterback at the moment.  If he threw like this at a combine, he wouldn't have even been drafted, let alone in the 1st round.  ` 

I'll also agree 100% that MM and TC need to set the kid up for success.  If he is not throwing with any accuracy, stop giving him those throws to make.  Give him more quick slants, quick outs, and screens to take the pressure off and get him some confidence in his throws.

456338[/snapback]

Icertainly aggree that JP is playing bad disagree that he is not playing like an potential NFL QB.

To me JP is showing an element in his game that has to make the coaches feel very good that he is demonstrating that he is eminently trainable.

It seems to me that JP came to the combine and came to the pros with a style of play which:

1. Showed some good upside and skills. In running for his lie at Tulane he made a lot of plays on his own as the blocking broke down and demonstrated great mobility and improvisational decision making that made him very successful in college. He showed a strong arm and accuracy while on the run which allowed him to productive with receiver. When even his receivers broke down he showed a willingness and ability to run the ball himself.

2. However, it was clear that his game had some real limitations which did result in some failures in college and which would likely get him eaten alive by the faster, bigger and smarter pros. Improvisation, throwing off the wrong foot, and trying to often to bowl over tacklers is siimply going to result in the pros of not taking the best advantage of your teammates skills as it is hard to be on the same page with improvisation, defenders with more speed than he has played against wil pick off weak throws and survival for a QB in the NFL means taking a hit for a 1st down when you have to, but avoiding the hit after you get the first down instead of risking punishment for a couple of marginal yards.

Under Wyche, Clements and MM (and even Bledsoe some last year as I saw JP clearly picked up some of the better parts of his game as he runs out each and every play as though he has the ball whether he has given it away or not) JP clearly picked up improvements in his game.

His initial failures and the quickly getting the grasp of how to overcome these failures and improvement in hs game is easily chronicled in his mop-up duty.

1st game- debacle against NE where he was thrown into the game (and learnedthat if you put on the uniform though standing on the sidelines and yukking it up with the boys is fun you have to be ready to play at every moment). he tried to rely on his escapibility and improvisational ability and all this got us was a fumble an an INT.

2nd game- he entered the game after a TV TO prepared to take the field anr run some plays and immediately failed to take control of the huddle and efficiently transfer the play called in from the sidelines to the huddle (my guess is that it was a play call which should not have been a surprise to anyone). The resultwas a delay of game penalty.

Yet, JP already began to show he was a learner as he did successfully call the next plays and with the help of his teammates and handing off to Willis they got a TD. True watchers of the game should recognize that nothing succeeds like success and that you have to crawl before you walk. it would be flat out dumb to expect him to come in an perform like John Elawy, and it would be flat out dumb to feel that his leading the team to a TD though simply crawling was not an important and critcal step for him to take, He will never lead the team to even two TDs if he never leads the team to 1 TD and though many facts pshawed this score it was big IMHO.

3rd game- He showed that he was learning by not taking the delay of game wheh he failed to control he huddle, he only had to call a TO when his main job was to burn clock. he did not accomplish his goal completely but he did emonstrate he was learning by still not making it but doing better. If recollection serves (which it does not completely I think he also saw inconsequestial action in a th game I will leave out.) me savinf this five yards was quite useful later as he converted a critical 4th down run by a couple of yards. Most important he again steered the team to a score.

4th make-up game- Again he steered the team efficiently to its goal and this time even without the hiccups in his initial performances.

Again JPs production this season has been horrible. However, the thing which impresses me and leaves me with the hope and thinking that he is on track is that he has not been productive but I am impressed that he has remade his game. He can produce (yet it is to be hoped) playing a less improvisational, more consistent and rigid style. However, i think he will be more productive as an NFL QB once he masters this style of game. it srikes me as it would be far more exciting and even more productive by him from time to time right now if he ran the college style of improvisation he is used to. However, this only works in the short term and I am impressed that he has been able to generally abandon his old style and adopt a new one under the tutelage of Wyche. He has not mastered it at all and has not produced yet. However, the lack of INTs and him occaisionally getting it right (like in the drive after the benching, the TD pass to Peters, the progress last year and even in snatches in pre-season has certainly been enought that I am not panicking yet despite the JP lack of production at QB.

If he has happy feet I might be worried. If he was throwing a lot of or critical INTs i would be worried, but his failings to this point are all things i think can be adjusted. It just takes time. I think TD and MM will not get their panties all up in a wad due to media and fan pressure and will give him some time to get better. I have no problem with this as though i can see Holcomb fitting in ad backing up for time to time I do not see him delivering the goods in the long term.

I think the result would be the same (non-playoffs) even if JP never gets his act toether or Holcomb is made the starter. It will be less painful with Holcomb now, but the real game is to win the SB later. JP might but Holcomb won't.

Icertainly aggree that JP is playing bad disagree that he is not playing like an potential NFL QB.

To me JP is showing an element in his game that has to make the coaches feel very good that he is demonstrating that he is eminently trainable.

It seems to me that JP came to the combine and came to the pros with a style of play which:

1. Showed some good upside and skills. In running for his lie at Tulane he made a lot of plays on his own as the blocking broke down and demonstrated great mobility and improvisational decision making that made him very successful in college. He showed a strong arm and accuracy while on the run which allowed him to productive with receiver. When even his receivers broke down he showed a willingness and ability to run the ball himself.

2. However, it was clear that his game had some real limitations which did result in some failures in college and which would likely get him eaten alive by the faster, bigger and smarter pros. Improvisation, throwing off the wrong foot, and trying to often to bowl over tacklers is siimply going to result in the pros of not taking the best advantage of your teammates skills as it is hard to be on the same page with improvisation, defenders with more speed than he has played against wil pick off weak throws and survival for a QB in the NFL means taking a hit for a 1st down when you have to, but avoiding the hit after you get the first down instead of risking punishment for a couple of marginal yards.

Under Wyche, Clements and MM (and even Bledsoe some last year as I saw JP clearly picked up some of the better parts of his game as he runs out each and every play as though he has the ball whether he has given it away or not) JP clearly picked up improvements in his game.

His initial failures and the quickly getting the grasp of how to overcome these failures and improvement in hs game is easily chronicled in his mop-up duty.

1st game- debacle against NE where he was thrown into the game (and learnedthat if you put on the uniform though standing on the sidelines and yukking it up with the boys is fun you have to be ready to play at every moment). he tried to rely on his escapibility and improvisational ability and all this got us was a fumble an an INT.

2nd game- he entered the game after a TV TO prepared to take the field anr run some plays and immediately failed to take control of the huddle and efficiently transfer the play called in from the sidelines to the huddle (my guess is that it was a play call which should not have been a surprise to anyone). The resultwas a delay of game penalty.

Yet, JP already began to show he was a learner as he did successfully call the next plays and with the help of his teammates and handing off to Willis they got a TD.  True watchers of the game should recognize that nothing succeeds like success and that you have to crawl before you walk. it would be flat out dumb to expect him to come in an perform like John Elawy, and it would be flat out dumb to feel that his leading the team to a TD though simply crawling was not an important and critcal step for him to take, He will never lead the team to even two TDs if he never leads the team to 1 TD and though many facts pshawed this score it was big IMHO.

3rd game- He showed that he was learning by not taking the delay of game wheh he failed to control he huddle, he only had to call a TO when his main job was to burn clock. he did not accomplish his goal completely but he did emonstrate he was learning by still not making it but doing better. If recollection serves (which it does not completely I think he also saw inconsequestial action in a th game I will leave out.) me savinf this five yards was quite useful later as he converted a critical 4th down run by a couple of yards.  Most important he again steered the team to a score.

4th make-up game- Again he steered the team efficiently to its goal and this time even without the hiccups in his initial performances.

Again JPs production this season has been horrible. However, the thing which impresses me and leaves me with the hope and thinking that he is on track is that he has not been productive but I am impressed that he has remade his game.  He can produce (yet it is to be hoped) playing a less improvisational, more consistent and rigid style. However, i think he will be more productive as an NFL QB once he masters this style of game.  it srikes me as it would be far more exciting and even more productive by him from time to time right now if he ran the college style of improvisation he is used to. However, this only works in the short term and I am impressed that he has been able to generally abandon his old style and adopt a new one under the tutelage of Wyche. He has not mastered it at all and has not produced yet. However, the lack of INTs and him occaisionally getting it right (like in the drive after the benching, the TD pass to Peters, the progress last year and even in snatches in pre-season has certainly been enought that I am not panicking yet despite the JP lack of production at QB.

If he has happy feet I might be worried. If he was throwing a lot of or critical INTs i would be worried, but his failings to this point are all things i think can be adjusted. It just takes time.  I think TD and MM will not get their panties all up in a wad due to media and fan pressure and will give him some time to get better. I have no problem with this as though i can see Holcomb fitting in ad backing up for time to time I do not see him delivering the goods in the long term.

I think the result would be the same (non-playoffs) even if JP never gets his act toether or Holcomb is made the starter.  It will be less painful with Holcomb now, but the real game is to win the SB later. JP might but Holcomb won't.

456590[/snapback]

good post.

Losman will get it together sooner rather than later and the Bills WILL make the playoffs this year. The AFC East is up for grabs and we are only 1-2. 10-6 will make the playoffs. That's only 9-4 over the next 13 games. It will get done.