MS Gulf Coast/New Orleans

thanes05

Hurricane Rita, which may be just as damaging as Katrina, if not worse. I have a number of worries, such as the people in Texas and western Louisiania. I want them to be ok, and to not experience what we experienced in Biloxi, MS. However, a number of us down here have a certain fear, and thats being left behind. If the damage caused by Rita is at a high cost, what will happen to the people effected by Katrina? Will our Government forget about the billions of dollars in damage on the coast? Will our Government pull a lot of it's support groups out and send them to TX? Now, I do want those people to be taken care, but I do not want us to be forgotten about. People in other parts of the country, such as Buffalo, do not know what this is like. You have not lost your homes, your jobs, or even your friends and family. Now, I do understand that you guys do get a tough Blizzard every now and then, but that is no where in comparison of a hurricane 4 or higher. I just want to see an equal amount of support applied to both areas. Both sides deserve it, and both sides need it.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then raise your states taxes, and have your states become self sufficient and not rely on the feds for everything.

edit:

everytime there is a blizzard the Feds don't send tractors, and troops to Buffalo along with 10 billion. The state and local government pay for that. They pay to have the road repairs done. They pay higher gas bills because it gets cold.

Well those states along the gulf coast should learn to be more self sufficient and not look for handouts. How about a rainy day or hurricane fund, because you know damn well you're gonna need it on occassion.

umm...are you on this board for the Bills at all?

450525[/snapback]

uhhh....We're not going to put our state in the situation New York is in. NY is one of the in most debt states in our country. Things are fine in MS. A lot of people move out of New York every year, due to taxes. I'm sure taxes will go up somewhat for Hurricane preparation, but they will not go that high. No state, and I mean no state, can afford to pay the full amount of damages caused by a major hurricane, which is a 3 or higher. The cost of Katrina is going to be in the Billions. New York itself could not afford to pay that off. The Federal Government is needed for all states hit by a major hurricane. Get over it.

Then raise your states taxes, and have your states become self sufficient and not rely on the feds for everything.

edit:

everytime there is a blizzard the Feds don't send tractors, and troops to Buffalo along with 10 billion.  The state and local government pay for that.  They pay to have the road repairs done.  They pay higher gas bills because it gets cold. 

Well those states along the gulf coast should learn to be more self sufficient and not look for handouts.  How about a rainy day or hurricane fund, because you know damn well you're gonna need it on occassion.

450527[/snapback]

Again, a blizzard does not destroy large parts of a city. A hurricane destroys more than a city. It destroys cities! It destroys families homes. It destroys schools. I could go on and on. A bad snow storm will not do that. Not a city, or a state can afford to repair it all. Is this to hard for you to understand?

Those billions are across several states, and therefore no one state is picking up all the costs. But why should the feds pay for someone to reconstruct a house because that person chose to not get fully insured, or give 2000 debit cards to people just because. What about personal responsibility and living with the consequences of the decision, instead of always looking for a handout.

People move otu because other states put themselves at risk or look for handouts when the first thing goes wrong. While NYS is not the model of good government as they raise taxes to offset the continued loss of a tax base, rather then trying to attract new business with specialized tax cuts.

You need to get over it and get active in your state to realize that the founding father mandated that each state be self suffcient, and not always look to the feds for monetary support.

Again, a blizzard does not destroy large parts of a city. A hurricane destroys more than a city. It destroys cities! It destroys families homes. It destroys schools. I could go on and on. A bad snow storm will not do that. Not a city, or a state can afford to repair it all. Is this to hard for you to understand?

450545[/snapback]

And that's why states like Florida should have a state income tax. To pay for the costs when it does happen. That why Texas , LA, MS, etc.. should rasise their rates a little.

And that's why states like  Florida should have a state income tax.  To pay for the costs when it does happen.  That why Texas , LA, MS, etc.. should rasise their rates a little.

450552[/snapback]

FYI. The Governors from about 25 states are meeting to discuss spreading out insurance cost throughout the country. Its not only hurricanes that drive up the costs of insurance. There's tornado's, ice storms, floods, earthquakes...etc. Most of this country is affected in one way or another by Mother nature.

FYI. The Governors from about 25 states are meeting to discuss spreading out insurance cost throughout the country. Its not only hurricanes that drive up the costs of insurance. There's tornado's, ice storms, floods,  earthquakes...etc. Most of this country is affected in one way or another by Mother nature.

450564[/snapback]

Exactly.

And this is the way it should happen. Thanks red.

Exactly. 

And this is the way it should happen. Thanks red.

450570[/snapback]

Also, Florida will never have a state income tax. Its not needed. Tourism brings in plenty of revenue. In addition it would take changing our states constitution, with a vote of over 70% of the population to make it law. Sorry, not gonna happen. If we need more revenue, we raise the taxes on rental cars and hotel beds for you losers to pay for what we need here.

Thanks VA :D

uhhh....We're not going to put our state in the situation New York is in. NY is one of the in most debt states in our country. Things are fine in MS. A lot of people move out of New York every year, due to taxes. I'm sure taxes will go up somewhat for Hurricane preparation, but they will not go that high. No state, and I mean no state, can afford to pay the full amount of damages caused by a major hurricane, which is a 3 or higher. The cost of Katrina is going to be in the Billions. New York itself could not afford to pay that off. The Federal Government is needed for all states hit by a major hurricane. Get over it.

450537[/snapback]

uhhh...get over what? i asked you a simple question

do you come to this message board for the Buffalo Bills at all or not?

Those billions are across several states, and therefore no one state is picking up all the costs.  But why should the feds pay for someone to reconstruct a house because that person chose to not get fully insured, or give 2000 debit cards to people just because.  What about personal responsibility and living with the consequences of the decision, instead of always looking for a handout. 

People move otu because other states put themselves at risk or look for handouts when the first thing goes wrong.  While NYS is not the model of good government as they raise taxes to offset the continued loss of a tax base, rather then trying to attract new business with specialized tax cuts. 

You need to get over it and get active in your state to realize that the founding father mandated that each state be self suffcient, and not always look to the feds for monetary support.

450549[/snapback]

First off, MS did receive billions in damage, that is not including Louisiania or Alabama. The Federal government is actually giving little in support. I believe the average amount a person is receiving right now is 5,000, which is virtually nothing. If not in a flood zone in MS, a person has to pay 500 a month for flood insurance. That is outrageous. The insurance comapnies told us that we were not in an area that could be flooded. They told us not to worry about it. What would you do if you were told this. Pay 500 a month even though the insurance comany's are telling you not to worry about it. Also, if you are in flood zone, the insurance is dirt cheap. So, it was actually a benefit to be in a flood zone, which we were not.

The people of Mississippi are not looking for a free handout. If it was not for MS or Louisiania, where would your oil be brought in to? What would the gas prices be if the oil in gulf did not exist? Think about it. The price of oil of in England is over 6 dollars!(The conversion to american standards has been made)

If your house was destroyed, you wold be looking for some type of aid, and I gurantee you 5,000 dollars would make you really upset. Not many people will be able to get back to their normal lives becaues our government is doing little to help out. And NO STATE can afford billions of dollars in damage, not even New York.

And speaking of each state being self sufficient, what state initially wanted state's rights? New York supported and still supports a Federal Government. Your state is in dire need. Your state needs A LOT of help. MS has done well on it's own. MS has not needed much Federal aid in the past. MS is an important state in our country, and that is something you need to accept. New York on the other hand has some serious problems. I know a large number of relatives who live in New York, and all they ever do is complain about the New York's government. People do not do that down here. People actually support it.

uhhh...get over what? i asked you a simple question

do you come to this message board for the Buffalo Bills at all or not?

450588[/snapback]

Is this board not under Politics, Polls, and Pundits? Because last I checked it was. Yes, I am a Bills fan. I am originally from Buffalo. I ended up down in MS by joining the United States Air Force. I come to this site regularly to check up on the Bills, and to see what the community thinks of them. And as of right now, the Bills are not looking that good. Tampa Bay exploited a large number of wholes in our offense and defense. It's going to take time for JP to develop. This is his "first" year. I just hope it does not take to long. Also, the loss of Pat Williams is huge. Right now the Bills defense is not doing that well. Cadillac rushed all over the Bills. Whenever a team can run the ball that well, they win. Enough said. I just hope the Bills will be able to run the ball much better against Atlanta. If they fall to 1 and 2 this could be another VERY long season. Honestly, I see the Bills going 8-8, which will not get them into the playoffs. I think it is pathetic this team has not made the playoffs since the 99-00 season. Our organization has fallen to the bottom of the NFL.

First off, MS did receive billions in damage, that is not including Louisiania or Alabama. The Federal government is actually giving little in support. I believe the average amount a person is receiving right now is 5,000, which is virtually nothing. If not in a flood zone in MS, a person has to pay 500 a month for flood insurance. That is outrageous. The insurance comapnies told us that we were not in an area that could be flooded. They told us not to worry about it. What would you do if you were told this. Pay 500 a month even though the insurance comany's are telling you not to worry about it. Also, if you are in flood zone, the insurance is dirt cheap. So, it was actually a benefit to be in a flood zone, which we were not.

The people of Mississippi are not looking for a free handout. If it was not for MS or Louisiania, where would your oil be brought in to? What would the gas prices be if the oil in gulf did not exist? Think about it. The price of oil of in England is over 6 dollars!(The conversion to american standards has been made)

If your house was destroyed, you wold be looking for some type of aid, and I gurantee you 5,000 dollars would make you really upset. Not many people will be able to get back to their normal lives becaues our government is doing little to help out. And NO STATE can afford billions of dollars in damage, not even New York.

And speaking of each state being self sufficient, what state initially wanted state's rights? New York supported and still supports a Federal Government. Your state is in dire need. Your state needs A LOT of help. MS has done well on it's own. MS has not needed much Federal aid in the past. MS is an important state in our country, and that is something you need to accept. New York on the other hand has some serious problems. I know a large number of relatives who live in New York, and all they ever do is complain about the New York's government. People do not do that down here. People actually support it.

450590[/snapback]

Seems to me you are blowing smoke on the flood insurance cost.

http://www.pueblo.gsa.gov/cic_text/housing...d/insurance.htm

The exception is for buildings in Coastal Barrier Resources System areas.

So if you built a house in the CBRS and didn't consider the added cost, whose fault is it when you flood? Oh I see the federal governments and therefre they should pay you.

And for those who don't know, CBRS are protected lands where the government really doesn't want development and will not fund or support anyone who does build there.

http://www.fema.gov/nfip/cbrshist.shtm

So if you built a house in the CBRS and didn't consider the added cost, whose fault is it when you flood?  Oh I see the federal governments and therefre  they should pay you. 

And for those who don't know, CBRS are protected lands where the government really doesn't want development and will not fund or support anyone who does build there.

450648[/snapback]

I'm sorry, but you are receiving incomplete information. On the Mississippi Gulf Coast, people who are NOT in a flood zone have to pay 500 or more a month for flood insurance. That is a fact. Come live down here and you will realize this. My informaiton is not "what I"ve heard." My information is from personal experience. My family owns a home in Biloxi, MS. We are in an area that is not considered a flood zone. All State, who is our insurance company, charges people who are not in a flood zone 500 or more a month for flood insurance. You can call All State if you want too. This is how it works on the Gulf Coast. Of course, you live up in an area that has tremendous amounts of Lake effect snow. So, I am sure you would never want to leave that place. (Sarcasm) Since we moved into MS, which was 11 years ago, we have been hit by 2 hurricanes. Hurricane Georges, which hit us 7 years ago, did little damage. This storm was a category 3, which is one category less than Katrina. Our house did not even come close to flooding with Georges. Katrina did something that was unprecedented. It flooded areas that were considered unfloodable. Very few hurricanes have been at the level of Katrina. Very few hurricanes have been as damaging as Katrina. You also have to look at the odds, meaning what are the chances of a storm so powerful hitting your hometown. The chances are extremely slim. But, you probably know little about this.

So if you built a house in the CBRS and didn't consider the added cost, whose fault is it when you flood?  Oh I see the federal governments and therefre  they should pay you. 

450648[/snapback]

One more thing. Prior to Hurricane Katrina hitting, only 25% of the coast was considered "floodable." And the floodzones were determined by our National Government.

450590[/snapback]

Thanes05,

First off let me preface this with saying that I am very sorry to hear that your house was destroyed. I hope you and your family came through intact.

I am going to stay away from the comments on the flood insurance as I have no experience with flood insurance. However, when you talk about NY needing a lot of help and MS being wonderful; all at the time you are asking for more money from NY, I take exception.

NY pays the 2nd most money to the federal government of any state! In 2004, NY sent $171,948,716,000 to the federal government. It received back 80 cents on the dollar (2003 stats, I couldn't find 2004 info.). MS sent in a WHOPPING 8,951,397,000 to the fed and received back $1.89 for every dollar it sent in. So NY sent in about $34 BILLION more than it got back and MS got more than $7 BILLION more than it sent in. (But MS hasn't needed that much help in the past. They get MASSIVE HELP EVERY SINGLE YEAR!!!)

No wonder people support the MS government and complain about NY's. In NY, the government is EXPECTED to find a way to pay for what it spends (unfortunately, a lot of that is through issuing bonds and basically mortgaging the future of residents) and it is starting from a hole of $34 BILLION; in MS the government provides much more limited services for the residents and it is starting out with excess money from the federal government.

Now you are saying no state could possibly be expected to cover the damages within its borders. Well guess what, if NY had an extra $34 BILLION EACH AND EVERY YEAR it would go a long way towards covering a mess like this.

By the way, has the wonderful government of MS gotten the school system rankings ahead of DC yet, or is it still 51 out of 51?

And finally, gas prices are as high as they are in the UK due to TAXES, not because they aren't close to the US refineries along the Gulf Coast.

Dave.

PS I do hope you manage to rebuild. I realize you probably wouldn't be railing on NY under normal conditions, but I couldn't let groundless acusations go unchallenged.

One more thing. Prior to Hurricane Katrina hitting, only 25% of the coast was considered "floodable." And the floodzones were determined by our National Government.

450700[/snapback]

I live inland VA, non-flood plain and I am not covered by the federal flood special purchase program. However, I have flood insurance as a rider covered directly by statefarm and it is just under 100 per year. In I lived in the flood area elsewhere it would be under the federal program and covered at 231 or whatever it is per year.

The only place not covered is in federal protected land like CBRS and the federal government wants to limit or prevent all development there for environmental or endangered species protection. If you built there, then yes you do pay 300-500 per month for insurance but the risks are set when the property was built.

BTW, if you lived in Biloxi it is covered by the FEMA flood program.

Thanes05,

First off let me preface this with saying that I am very sorry to hear that your house was destroyed.  I hope you and your family came through intact.

I am going to stay away from the comments on the flood insurance as I have no experience with flood insurance.  However, when you talk about NY needing a lot of help and MS being wonderful; all at the time you are asking for more money from NY, I take exception.

NY pays the 2nd most money to the federal government of any state!  In 2004, NY sent $171,948,716,000 to the federal government.  It received back 80 cents on the dollar (2003 stats, I couldn't find 2004 info.).  MS sent in a WHOPPING 8,951,397,000 to the fed and received back $1.89 for every dollar it sent in.  So NY sent in about $34 BILLION more than it got back and MS got more than $7 BILLION more than it sent in.  (But MS hasn't needed that much help in the past.  They get MASSIVE HELP EVERY SINGLE YEAR!!!)

No wonder people support the MS government and complain about NY's.  In NY, the government is EXPECTED to find a way to pay for what it spends (unfortunately, a lot of that is through issuing bonds and basically mortgaging the future of residents) and it is starting from a hole of $34 BILLION; in MS the government provides much more limited services for the residents and it is starting out with excess money from the federal government.

Now you are saying no state could possibly be expected to cover the damages within its borders.  Well guess what, if NY had an extra $34 BILLION EACH AND EVERY YEAR it would go a long way towards covering a mess like this.

By the way, has the wonderful government of MS gotten the school system rankings ahead of DC yet, or is it still 51 out of 51?

And finally, gas prices are as high as they are in the UK due to TAXES, not because they aren't close to the US refineries along the Gulf Coast.

Dave.

PS I do hope you manage to rebuild.  I realize you probably wouldn't be railing on NY under normal conditions, but I couldn't let groundless acusations go unchallenged.

450732[/snapback]

I unerstand a lot of what your saying, and honestly, I"m not going to comment on it until I can do some research, which I will do. But, there is one thing I do want to comment on. When looking at the populated areas of MS, such as the Gulf Coast, Jackson area, Hattiesburg area, and Oxford area, it ranks in the top 12 in thte nation. What brings down the scores is the poor delta area, which is in the northern portion of the state. So, do not consider the state of MS as the least educated state in our nation.

Also, I recently learned of a test that NY students are required to pass, in order to graduate from high school. I cannot remember the name of it, but over 3,500 students failed it this pass year. A good portion of them coming fromt the western New York area. If your wondering how I know this, it is because I have family who live in Tonawanda, Grand Island, and Rochester.

I live inland VA, non-flood plain and I am not covered by the federal flood special purchase program.  However, I have flood insurance as a rider covered directly by statefarm and it is just under 100 per year.  In I lived in the flood area elsewhere it would be under the federal program and covered at 231 or whatever it is per year. 

The only place not covered is in federal protected land like CBRS and the federal government wants to limit or prevent all development there for environmental or endangered species protection.  If you built there, then yes you do pay 300-500 per month for insurance but the risks are set when the property was built.

BTW, if you lived in Biloxi it is covered by the FEMA flood program.

450756[/snapback]

Not all parts of Biloxi are covered by the FEMA flood program. Also, I live across the bay from Biloxi in a city named D'Iberville. Now, the area we live in is NOT an area that the Federal Government is trying to limit growth. Schools, churches, neighborhoods, and stores have been built in this area. A good portion of it is not in a flood zone, and they do charge 500 or more a month for flood insurance. A lot of you would not understand how the system works down here. Just because it works in a certain way in VA does not mean it works the same on the Gulf Coast, which is prone to Hurricane activity.