Bills-Watching in Pittsburgh (Buffalo Blues)

chinabox

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Just wanted to give anyone in the Pittsburgh area the heads-up about the best (public) place to watch the Bills on Sunday in the area: Buffalo Blues on South Highland in Shadyside.

A little background: I moved to Pittsburgh last football season, and couldn't find a good place to watch our boys in my area. Finally, my roommate and I (both Bills fans) found Buffalo Blues, but had to battle with Steelers fans (guh) for a decent TV (they have dozens at this bar). Sat through last season at this place and was able to watch the Bills each week, although without sound and on a comparitively small TV. This year, things are MUCH BETTER.

Last week, preparing to fight the crowd at the bar, I showed up in my Cornelius Bennett jersey at around 12:15 (bar opens at 12:30 or so). To my surprise, there were a number of Bills fans (7 or so) already waiting for them to open up shop. Apparently, this place is now the offical "Bills Backers" bar (or something). Regardless, because we had such a huge group and a few fans talked to the owner of the bar ahead of time, we were able to get our OWN room (in the front) with a big-screen TV and audio! We had about 20+ last week, but I expect (due to word of mouth) that we'll get more this time around. A truly awesome time, especially for displaced Bills fans who have to deal with "Big Ben" garbage all year.

So: If you're in Pittsburgh -- join the club. Had an awesome time last week! Did I mention they have WINGS there? They're actually decent, too. Also some kind of beer special (Something like $4.50 up front for a big glass, $2.50 for refills thereafter...not positive).

Information:

Buffalo Blues

216 S Highland Ave

Pittsburgh, PA 15206-3913

(412) 362-5837

Map: http://maps.google.com/maps?q=216+S+Highla...,0.045417&hl=en

Directions by bus (from Campus-Oakland area):

Take the 500 or 71D right down 5th Ave to South Highland (away from the city). I know one of those busses actually takes a left on S Highland and can get you closer to the bar, but I'm not sure which. I think it's the 500. Worst case scenario, get off at 5th/Highland and just start walking...Buffalo Blues is like 1/3 mile down the road.

Hope to see people there.

Zach

From '98 to 2001 I attended law school at Pitt and lived in Shadyside (great area, by the way). We always went to Buffalo Blues for the games. Plus they have decent wings. And speaking of wings in Pittsburgh, try Fat Heads on the South Side - also good wings.

Just wanted to say hi and go Bills. Even though I live in So Cal now,I often miss the days of living and bar hoping in Shadyside.

From '98 to 2001 I attended law school at Pitt and lived in Shadyside (great area, by the way). We always went to Buffalo Blues for the games. Plus they have decent wings. And speaking of wings in Pittsburgh, try Fat Heads on the South Side - also good wings.

Just wanted to say hi and go Bills. Even though I live in So Cal now,I often miss the days of living and bar hoping in Shadyside.

444075[/snapback]

Looks like I'm living the life of CJPearl2 now. I'm in my second year at Pitt Law School and living in Shadyside. I went to FatHeads for "20c Wing Night" this past summer. Really great time. I'll say hi to Walnut Street for ya :devil:

Zach

Zach:

Nice to meet you.Hope things are going well at Pitt. I miss Walnut street (Is Doc's still open? Love the Deli Company too!) and Shadyside, but I don't miss school.

I hope you don't have Harper for Evidence this year. Im cracking my wife up right now doing my Harper impression (it involves a funny accent and lots of downward finger points - and usually includes a rant about hearsay)

I actually met my wife at Pitt Law and we live and practice in California. If you need any help or have any questions feel free to message me.

Go Bills!

Zach:

Nice to meet you.Hope things are going well at Pitt. I miss Walnut street (Is Doc's still open? Love the Deli Company too!) and Shadyside, but I don't miss school.

I hope you don't have Harper for Evidence this year. Im cracking my wife up right now doing my Harper impression (it involves a funny accent and lots of downward finger points - and usually includes a rant about hearsay)

I actually met my wife at Pitt Law and we live and practice in California. If you need any help or have any questions feel free to message me.

Go Bills!

444088[/snapback]

Shadyside is probably much like you left it. Doc's is still there and the beneficiary of every external law school event that requires some sort of consumption. The post-bar-exam gathering is there, as well as the 1L orientation "impending doom" party. Deli Company is still alive and kickin' as well, though we did recently just lose Biki (not very popular), which was replaced by a nice resturant too expensive for the likes of me. I'm avoiding Harper, although only because I couldn't get into his class this semester. Jordan will be taking care of all of my evidence needs :devil:

I'm impressed that you were able to make it out to Cali from Pittsburgh. I'm trying to get into the DC market, and that's tough enough! Still: Small world. Great to hear from a Pitt Law grad.

Zach