Press Your Luck - No Whammy!

Fezmid

I know I used to LOVE watching this show during summer vacations when I was growing up, and I'm sure I'm not alone.  I never heard about this guy before, but it's an interesting story:

http://www.rotten.com/library/conspiracy/Press_Your_Luck/

http://gscentral.net/larsen.htm

CW

441178[/snapback]

Michael Larsen is Someone who finally caught on and learned to beat the system. The funny thing is when he was going for $100,000 he got mentally drained and almost hit a Wammy(Bankrupt). Then he stopped because he knew he couldn't keep up anymore with the board. I wonder if the game show had to go off the air right after that show. I wasn't sure if CBS was going to end up paying him. They did end up paying him which was interesting.

Michael Larsen is Someone who finally caught on and learned to beat the system. The funny thing is when he was going for $100,000 he got mentally drained and almost hit a Wammy(Bankrupt). Then he stopped because he knew he couldn't keep up anymore with the board. I wonder if the game show had to go off the air right after that show. I wasn't sure if CBS was going to end up paying him. They did end up paying him which was interesting.

441341[/snapback]

I saw a show about this event once. He did get his money since he wasn't cheating and no the show didn't go off the air. They reconfigured the board to make the patterns much more complex to prevent anyone else from doing the same thing.

Of course, he blew the money and ended up right back where he started.

I saw a show about this event once.  He did get his money since he wasn't cheating and no the show didn't go off the air.  They reconfigured the board to make the patterns much more complex to prevent anyone else from doing the same thing.

441371[/snapback]

Every so oftern, Game Show Network runs a two hour special about "The Larsen Episodes". It's hosted by Peter Tomarkin (Press Your Luck host) and interviewed the other two contestants from those shows. They also give them a chance to duplicate Larsen's performance by showing them the pattern he used (an ancient computer program that had only 3-4 patterns).

Yes, Larsen wasted/lost all the money, tried other money-making schemes, then died about 5-10 years ago.

Interesting show to watch.

Good read. I loved that show, never knew that happened.

441396[/snapback]

Remember the game Tic-Tac-Dough?

Back in the late 70's or early '80s, I could always predict where the monster (dragon?) was. It's "random" pattern wasn't random neither. Too bad I was only 8 at the time and couldn't compete.