Why do they take Willis out on 3rd down?

Hull, Kent67

On Sunday, Shaud Williams was in on most of the 3rd downs. Why do they take Willis out? No disrespect to Shaud but Willis is 8x better than him. To me your almost doing the defense a favor by taking him out. I need all Willis all the time especially this Sunday. They need to ram it down the Bucs throat this weekend.

Sporting News had something on this last week - they're trying not to wear Willis down (the way Wanny did to RWilliams), so he probably won't be in for quite a few third downs, and he'll get a series off from time to time as well.

Besides, SWilliams is more of the prototype third-down back - small, shifty, and a better passcatcher. Just my opinion....

The league is too tough to play your primary running back on all three downs. Think about how much adverse contact a tailback would get in a game between being tackled on rushing downs and blitz protection. They can always use McGahee on third down (he has above average blocking and receiving skills) in a tight game or situation, but you're taking a huge risk playing him every down - that's bound to catch up to you down the road.