(OT) something I don't like

frogger

Before I begin, let me start by saying, i have done what i can for the poor people of New orlenas in the form of Money.

But what I don't like is this, the other day my company gave everyone a payroll deduction form, in order to donate money to the red cross. Normally i have no problem with this. but I remember back to 9/11, when my company did the same thing. back then i put in 100 dollars as did most, if not all of my co-workers. great, right? here is the problem i have with that, soon after the money was collected my company put out a press release so everyone knew how much we donated, and they didn't say the employees of this company did this wonderful thing but that the company did. Maybe I am selfish, but i didn't donate so that my company could get good press.

they are doind that because they don't want to lose profits by being kind. So they will present the image of being "socially-conscience" but not at their expence.

I went to a Catholic wedding the the preist was saying how "sacrifice" and "love" are synonemous (sp?). Meaning that you can not have love without sacrifice, you must give to the larger good even if it mean sacrificing your own immediate wants. IN a realtionship the "larger good" is the marraige.

He extrapolated this concept to the New ORleans situation and INternational Politics. Unfortunately it sounds as though your company is presenting the image of sacrifice without actually doing it.

Maybe I am selfish, but i didn't donate so that my company could get good press.

428874[/snapback]

Not selfish at all. Many supermarkets do same thing - they collect money and sometimes they package it with some of their own but they always put out press saying that they donated money to such-and-such charity not mentioning it was collected. One local supermarket took full tax deduction for such money even though they did not contribute it all.

For many corporations, donating to a charity is a lot like going to your high school prom. Deep down, most prefer to take a pass and not spend their money, but in the end if you don't do it, everyone else stands around and says "Gee, where's so and so?"

You do what you know is right. In the end, the only people who pay attention to "Look what we did" press releases are the people who are releasing them. Because the people who are receiving them are getting them 5000 fold and it all melds into one big "Well, the world donated billions again" followed shortly be "Anyone know where all the money went?"