Houston now using Reliant Center for housing

nobody

The Astrodome is full and now Houston will begin to use the Reliant Center. I wouldn't be suprised that it may be possible that Dallas and SA might end up using their football stadiums as well with the numbers of refugees they are planning on taking. The NFL could be in for a big-time schedule issue.

From MSNBC:

At the same time, after accepting more than 11,000 Hurricane Katrina evacuees, Texas officials said the Astrodome was full and at least temporarily halted the flow of evacuees into the shelter.

It was decided early Friday to begin housing people in the adjacent Reliant Center, where the Houston Texans play football, said Houston press secretary Patrick Trahan.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry announced that Dallas would host 25,000 more refugees at Reunion Arena and 25,000 others would relocate to a San Antonio warehouse at KellyUSA, a city-owned complex that once was home to an Air Force base. Houston estimated as many as 55,000 people who fled the hurricane were staying in area hotels.

Damn... There have gotta be unused Military bases to use with accommodation and sanitary facilities in the area... I guess they are looking into using those as a longer term fix.

I don't see any way that these football stadia are a long term solution in anyway. 7 days max before the situation in those is untenable.

You can only used domed stadiums, so Dallas won't be used.

I agree that closed military bases would be good places to house them initially. I wonder how many will eventually go back to NO or will just resettle in other areas.

This will be the next stage of the nightmare. How do you educate the children, find jobs for the adults, etc?

You can only used domed stadiums, so Dallas won't be used. 

427018[/snapback]

Why not? Just stretch a tarp over that stupid hole-in-the-roof-so-God-can-watch-his-favorite-team that they have. Problem solved.

One question I keep asking is why don't they set up the massive tent cities we have seen at other locations around the world. The military is quite good at setting up comfortable facilities in just about any location. It would seem like this is the time to do this.